• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Drain Plug gasket

Started by Touring29, March 27, 2022, 09:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

The drain plug on the 29 is dripping and its plenty tight. I need to change the oil anyway so does anyone know where to get a copper gasket that size or even what size it is. I don't want to drain the oil and have to search for a gasket.

Articifer Tom

A good local auto parts store may have on there plug or help rack . Next a transmission shop . measure od sub. about 1/4"

chetbrz

Good advice.  Find out the dimensions than Google them.  OD. & ID.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Touring29

I can take it to the parts store and match it up, my concern is if the little stores we have in our little town will have one. We have to order a lot of things that are in stock in big city stores. I just thought that someone might know the size so I could have one and have it on hand.

Articifer Tom

I know Advance Auto has a rack of drain plugs and copper washers .

Touring29

The nearest Advance Auto is 30 miles but when we were kids this was a dry county and we would go there just to try to find a adult that would buy us some beer :) We have a Napa O'Rileys and a Parts Plus. They are all small stores but can get most stuff the next day.

Touring29

I drained the oil and as I suspected no one in our little town had a copper gasket that size but I did find a plastic one that fits. The plug had 4 old copper gaskets on it and was still leaking. When I got them pried of I found they had somewhat rounded the corners off and the plug had a little sharp high spot at every corner. I filed these off and it seems to be holding.

Now for a question. The dipstick was exactly on the full mark when I drained it and it had around 6 quarts in it. I put 4 quarts back in and it barely touches the dipstick. The dipstick looks to have been spliced and welded at some point so I don't trust it. Are the specs shown on ply33.com correct? It shows 4 quarts which would make it about 2" lower than the full mark on the stick.

Articifer Tom

My BOI says 6 quarts (5.66L ) for 196ci 4cly engine . I'll my stick if you need .

Touring29

This is where I got 4 quarts https://www.ply33.com/Models/U/specs
Ours is the 175.4 cid engine which seems to be a 1 year only engine although I think the later ones were similar.
6 quarts is about what it had in it and it was on the full mark but the dipstick has been altered, maybe because it broke or maybe some other reason who knows.

It also leaks some and I was hoping that was caused by it being over full. Now I don't know what to do. 

Touring29

Quote from: Articifer Tom on April 02, 2022, 02:28:24 PMMy BOI says 6 quarts (5.66L ) for 196ci 4cly engine . I'll my stick if you need .
I looked on the same website and it does indeed call for 6 quarts on a 30 model. Are they that different? 

Articifer Tom

See what your saying . Sorry not sure myself . Do you have the BOI for your car to look in it ?

Articifer Tom

Just look on this sites tech info section . There is copy of AMS tuneup info for 29 30 model u engines it shows 4 quarts .

chetbrz

Touring29

If your engine is a 29U 175.4 cubic inches.., the Plymouth Instruction Manual Fifth Edition May 1929 calls for 1 Gal of motor oil. 

Do you know your engine serial number.  From that we could check the period it was manufactured.  It might be that the motor was changed out.  If your engine is thermosyphon it is most likely 1929.  If it has a water pump and mechanical fuel pump it would most likely be the 196.1 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Touring29

The serial # is U26664 The casting # is 301029-2 with 22529 above it and a H below it. It has no water or fuel pump. I may be wrong but I think it may be the original motor.
After it sat for a couple of hours I checked it again and it shows 1/2 way between the add and full marks with 4 quarts.  I can't believe it took awhile to drain down since the filler is not far from the pan. I think I'll call that the new full and hope it leaks less. Thanks everyone

chetbrz

Quote from: Touring29 on April 02, 2022, 10:32:57 PMThe serial # is U26664 The casting # is 301029-2 with 22529 above it and a H below it. It has no water or fuel pump. I may be wrong but I think it may be the original motor.
After it sat for a couple of hours I checked it again and it shows 1/2 way between the add and full marks with 4 quarts.  I can't believe it took awhile to drain down since the filler is not far from the pan. I think I'll call that the new full and hope it leaks less. Thanks everyone

Sorry I thought I had a list of engine serial numbers but I can't find it. Anyway I would think that your engine is original to your car and manufacture in 1929.  You are only 5,000 different than my engine number and my car was built in the March 1929 time frame.  I think it's a safe bet that it is a 175.4 CID.  Your car may have rolled of the assembly line roughly around that same time.