• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Head light switch wiring schematic (not in Mopar manuals)

Started by 29plycoop, November 21, 2010, 02:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

While making a new wiring harness, kept track of some wiring information not found in any Plymouth manuals. There are numbers embossed on the head-light switch and on the face of the head-light connector plugs.  They are referenced to in this chart.  The head-light plugs can only be inserted in the right orientation as the two twist lock pins are not straight apart.
One interesting thing is the 1929 Plymouth "U" has a #1000 head-light bulb that has a designation of , 32-32 CP (candle power)  That means the low beam and high beam is the same power and only one filament lights at a time.  ??  The Plymouth "Instruction Manual" explains how to adjust the beam with the screw in the back of the head-light buckets, so my guess is the refraction in the "Depressed Beam" lens must make the difference in the low and high beams. Any ideas on this mystery?
 In reference to the wiring schematic in the "Plymouth Instruction Manual";
       #42 parking light wire is BROWN (#3 on switch)
      #43 high beam wire is RED (#4 on switch)
      #44 low beam wire is BLACK (#6 on switch)

To save & copy wiring chart click on the attachment title.

Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

mopardave

The switch on my '28 is shot.  All I have working are the low beams.  Anybody have any sources for rebuild/replacement?
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

29UJohn

Walt Tallberg may have a spare, as i have gotten several parts off his two parts cars.  Try:  wjt1488@windstream.net  or try (870) 447-3043  (Arkansas)

If not, you could try Ben Ostranger (Alberta, Canada), but he may be South for the winter!

BEN OSTRANDER
SITE 11 BOX 52 RR 1
DE WINTON AB  T0L 0X0
CANADA 
John
1929U 4 Dr

Gary 30U

Dave, How many pins or connectors on your switch? I maybe have one you could have.

According to my parts book the Q had one switch, and the U, 30-U, PA, and the PB alll used a different switch.

Gary

chetbrz

Quote from: 29plycoop on November 21, 2010, 02:05:21 AM
While making a new wiring harness, kept track of some wiring information not found in any Plymouth manuals. There are numbers embossed on the head-light switch and on the face of the head-light connector plugs.  They are referenced to in this chart.  The head-light plugs can only be inserted in the right orientation as the two twist lock pins are not straight apart.
One interesting thing is the 1929 Plymouth "U" has a #1000 head-light bulb that has a designation of , 32-32 CP (candle power)  That means the low beam and high beam is the same power and only one filament lights at a time.  ??  The Plymouth "Instruction Manual" explains how to adjust the beam with the screw in the back of the head-light buckets, so my guess is the refraction in the "Depressed Beam" lens must make the difference in the low and high beams. Any ideas on this mystery?
 In reference to the wiring schematic in the "Plymouth Instruction Manual";
       #42 parking light wire is BROWN (#3 on switch)
      #43 high beam wire is RED (#4 on switch)
      #44 low beam wire is BLACK (#6 on switch)

To save & copy wiring chart click on the attachment title.

Rich,  Would you mind if I moved a copy of this post to the Tech Info Section.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

CHET,
Go ahead and move as needed, hope the info will help
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

mopardave

Gary, the car is in storage for the winter.  I will have to check the pins in the Spring.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Gary 30U

One thing about the headlight bulb. You can replace your #1000 bulbs, 32 cp, with the #1188 bulb. These are 32 cp on low beam and 50 cp on high beam. The ones I have are even marked TOP so you don't get them in upside down. These are getting a little tough to come by, but there are still some out there.

Another way to really brighten up your headlights is to have the reflectors coated by UVIRA. They do lazer and medical equipment and he is a Model "A" guy and started doing headlight reflectors many years ago. The process is a vacumn coating of powdered aluminum and glass. Not cheep but better than 6V sealed beams.

UVIRA LASER OPTICS, 310 Pleasant Valley Rd. P.O. Box 1137, Merlin, OR 97532, Ph# 541-956-6880, www.uvira@terragon.com

Just some info someone might use.

Gary