• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Tire repair

Started by SDGlenn, January 12, 2011, 07:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDGlenn

I need to know how to replace a blown out tire on the 1929 Plymouth???. Do I need a tire changer???
Thanks
The other Glenn
SDGlenn

Rusty

You do need a tire changer.  It pulls the rim inward to allow the tire to come off.  I have one if you want to barrow this weekend.  Let me know.
rusty

SDGlenn

Yes, Thanks Rusty. I was keeping you in mind, you had mentioned there were posts on here that referred to changing tires. I couldn't find any of them, so I was trying to see what everyone else does to change their tires. I don't need to change it this week end, unless you want to practice with your tire changer, and we can see how it works. lol   I do have a heated garage. LOL It is only -3 degree right now. Heat wave........
Glenn
SDGlenn

SDGlenn

Rusty, By the way, I found a picture of your car in the Photo section. Nice car, looks pretty well finished to me.
Glenn
SDGlenn

Gary 30U

If your talking about a rim tool for spreading or pullling in the rims for a wood wheel car I have a spare if you want it. For some reason my computer doesn't work on the email through this site, but you can contact me at chiefgr@hotmail.com and we can set a price.

Gary

SDGlenn

Gary 30U, Thanks, I will get back to you after this weekend. Rusty has a changer and is going to bring it to my place this weekend and we will see how it works, Another proud Plymouth owner that only lives a few miles from me.
Later,
Glenn
SDGlenn

SDGlenn

Thanks Gary, I will not need a tire changer for this set of rims I have. They are made with a cam system that holds the split rim together, I used a pliers and screw driver to get it off the first time. We tried out Rusty's tire tool and it maybe would have been a little easier, with a one man job. Worked fine with two men helping. However, I am alone with the installation after I got the tube fixed. I found that using a 3/8 -  6 inch extention on the cam in turned back to a one man job, and a very easy one at that. I used the 3/8 end to fit on the cam, then the 6 inch length for the leverage.  I am sure a lot of you must have the same system on your cars?
Later,
Glenn
SDGlenn

webss69

I have been following your post on here about the tire changing. I was wondering about the tire tool also because my rims have a lever mounted to them for collapsing it. It reminds me of a small chain boomer that truckers use. I used a 3/8" piece of pipe about 3" or 4" long to break it over. It made changing my tires pretty easy. I was wondering if this was factory or are these aftermarket rims I have?

SDGlenn

Sounds like you and I have the same rims, is yours a 29 model coupe also. Maybe all 29s have this rim? I am too new at this to know if they are factory or not. Take care Webss
SDGlenn

29UJohn

Some of my 29 Plymouth rims have the same lever, but not all of them.  I do not know which are original.
John
1929U 4 Dr

29roadster

Mine have that leaver and its a 29 Roadster

chetbrz

All mine and the spare have the locking lever.  29 Sedan.

See link to Atlas split rim tool pdf from an earlier forum post:

http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=336.0;attach=718

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Hi Chet, I'm not sure if you were understanding the type of rim I have. The tool is not needed at all on this rim, and you can not lift one end of the rim over the other.  This lever will not give any sideways movement, and when you move this lever to the open position it holds the rim compressed to put the tire and tube on, then release it to complete the operation. Jim sent me that post info and I did print it out, thanks.
Later,
glenn
SDGlenn

webss69

Glenn, Mine is just a 4dr sedan.

SDGlenn

NOT JUST a 4dr Sedan, 4dr Sedan is the "Ultimate" in Plymouths.....
Glenn
SDGlenn