• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Fuel line size

Started by racertb, December 26, 2012, 09:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Can someone tell me what the correct size fuel line is for our cars?  Also, is it the same size from the tank to the vacuum tank and then to the carburetor?

Thanks...

imoore

I know the line from vac tank to carb was a flex hose. Ill have to measure the line and let u know.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

racertb

No one on here knows or cares to share?

imoore

Sorry about the delay. the fuel line is 1/4" from tank to vac tank and i presume it would be the same from vac to carb

Hope this helps
Ian

1929luv

it is 1/4" copper from tank to vaccum pump and I had to make my ruber flex line and made it 1/4" too.  Good luck my fitting were original and would not fit new ones Happy motoring Craig

racertb

Thanks Ian and Craig...

Years ago, a 6v Carter fuel pump was installed on the frame near the tank (with a see-through in-line fuel filter installed between the tank and the pump).  I am going to leave the pump in place and just wanted to "clean up" and possibly re-do the lines.  There is also an older round metal fuel pressure regulator (Chicago Rawhide) in-line on the frame 2-3' before the carburetor...set on #2...not really sure if it works or not.

Besides all that, the car runs great and if you saw my earleir post on distance driving, just came back from a 200+ mile trip over Thankgiving.

Anyone else on here using an electric fuel pump on their old Plymouth?

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on December 29, 2012, 12:00:23 PM
Thanks Ian and Craig...

Anyone else on here using an electric fuel pump on their old Plymouth?

I use an electric fuel pump.  It is a 12vdc connected to a device that converts 6vdc positive ground to 12vdc negative ground.  The pump has a max pressure of 2 psi.  Works great and keeps me moving but at some point I will be restoring the car back to all original.  For now it keeps me moving.  I also use a 6vdc positive ground alternator that I fabricated to the fan pulley. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

imoore

Yeh i run a 6v fuel pump. I have 2 filters one before the pump and after. Can never have to many filters!  I also have it mounted on the rh sub frame. Works a treat. I would love to get the vac tank working one day, but the alloy top cover has a giant hole in it. And the carby i am running cant be fed by gravity. But this is all part of restoration.
Ian

SDGlenn

Also, I run the 6V Fuel pump, with filter before the pump. I also have the pressure regulator, however, I have never used it, So I have another Item setting on the shelf. lol   I would like to go to the Vaccuum system. I found a fellow that had 4 of them, (quite possible restorable) not very far from me. He will not part with even one right now. It is not a money thing ($ were not even mentioned) maybe it was me. lol  I will check with him occasionally, if he will part with them I will post it.  Meanwhile I will enjoy the 6V fuel delivery system, it keeps me going.
Take care.

SDGlenn
SDGlenn

racertb

My Carter 6v pump is rated at 6 psi, so I am hoping and assuming the regulator is keeping the pressure under control...if it ain't broken, don't fix it :)

Is there a 6v pump out there that put out 2 psi where no regulator is needed?  Just wondering...

frankp

I started with a 1/4" copper line, vac tank/carb.  That broke where I made the flange.  Tried a flex gas line.  That also finally caved - probably due to the way I installed it.  Now have a steel line as you can see in pic.  No problems so far.  Is this correct?  Wasn't noted as wrong when judged by POC.  Did get a gig for not having a cardboard tag on the correct carb, though.  frank
frank p

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on December 31, 2012, 11:53:48 AM
My Carter 6v pump is rated at 6 psi, so I am hoping and assuming the regulator is keeping the pressure under control...if it ain't broken, don't fix it :)

Is there a 6v pump out there that put out 2 psi where no regulator is needed?  Just wondering...

Do you have a return line to bleed the excess pressure back into the gas tank.  Fuel pumps are cooled by the flow of fluid through them.  If you restrict the flow without bleeding the excess fuel back into the tank you will cause premature failure of the pump.  I think for our cars and the amount of continuous hours driven, the damage to the pump might not be worth the extra trouble.  Just an FYI...

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

No return line...pump has been on the car since 2003.  I have a new one just like it as a back up.

racertb

frankp - is that your engine compartment?  Looks great...are those the correct colors for everthing?  My vacuum tank and air cleaner are both black...

frankp

Yes, it is - thanks racertb!

The air cleaner is a flat, light gray color and I believe is the only painted part that did not get repainted.

The vac tank, I've seen natural and black, don't know if both could be correct.  From the POC Judging Guide, March 2000, "Vacuum advance units, carburetors and fuel pumps shall be the natural "as cast" color."  Unfortunately, this doesn't address vac tank by name, but hey, it is a fuel pump.

Maybe someone else knows for sure.  frank
frank p