• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

plating on different parts...

Started by kimmc, April 11, 2018, 08:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimmc

On the early Plymouths, like my '29, there seem to have been different plating coatings used on different parts.  I could use some help with this.

steel wheel rims:  cadmium   Did anything else receive cadmium plating?
bumpers:  chrome or nickel?  I've seen lots of chrome but an old timer told me they were nickel originally.  What is the consensus?
headlights and radiator cowl:  chrome?  My headlights are original (I believe) and chrome.  Same for radiator cowl?
door handles and window cranks:  nickel 

Did I leave anything out?  Thanks for the help.  Kim

racertb

I've seen wheels in cadmium and black.  I did mine black after seeing the old black and white photo of a '29 roadster on the assembly line with black wheels and body colored spokes (and pin striping).

My headlights are chrome and original.  My bumpers were chrome (had re-chromed); not sure if original.

frankp

Kim,   I'm unclear on exterior door handle plating and tire rim "color", mine are black like Ted's.  My rule has been chrome outside, nickel inside.  Of course there are a few interior items in chrome before I knew differently.      frank
frank p

chetbrz

I was told by POC that the exterior Bright work was chrome this includes the headlamps for the 28 & 29.  The 30U, PA, & PC headlamps were painted. 

The interior Bright work was nickel.

This is all I found for wheels:

Wood wheels should be painted. Wire and disc wheels were optional. Hubcaps embossed with an ornate "P", but the Q's were octagonal on the outer edge while the U's were mushroom-shaped, with the octagon behind the head.

Early 1930U cars were fitted with the old style "P" hubcaps, while later cars got the new style that featured the word "Plymouth" inside a raised parallelogram design. Wood wheel equipped cars saw a change from the de-mountable type rims. Wire wheel equipped vehicles saw 2 changes - cars up to serial number 1518228 utilized a 5 lug bolt wheel, while most cars after that to car 1558001 used a 6 lug bolt pattern - cars built after 1558001 returned once again to a 5 bolt wheel pattern.

Frank,  What interior items did you find out were chrome ?

Also.., It was noted when John was discussing hub caps that the correct caps for 29-30 were mushroom-shaped, with the octagon behind the head.  Anyone know about the mushroom-shaped, without the octagon behind the head
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Chet,  some clarification::

The only chrome I have inside was done in error and have been slowly going to nickel.  I don't know if the light and hand throttle will ever be changed to nickel, however.  I'm leery of any brute handling them.

Outside metal I left natural metal, aluminium, are hub caps and running board trim.  Tail lamp was all chrome.  Outer bumper are black, but I have seen them in chrome.

Hub caps:  I understood the 'shroom 30U wood wheel was like the 29U except it had no octogon on the inside, but was smooth to the lip where it met the hub.  frank
frank p

chetbrz

Quote from: frankp on April 12, 2018, 04:24:22 PM
Chet,  some clarification::

Outside metal I left natural metal, aluminium, are hub caps and running board trim.  Tail lamp was all chrome.  Outer bumper are black, but I have seen them in chrome.

Frank,

Just for clarification.  You state the tail lamp was all chrome does this also include the bracket arm.  Mine is black.

Also, on the bumper I found this note in the judging guide:

"Bumper: 1928 had double chrome bars with two grooves painted black; 1929 had double chrome bars.
The PD (1933) and PE(1934) front had a dip in the center."

I sent mine in for chrome including the rear ?  The judging guide doesn't say anything about black for 29U
We are talking about the item circled in the picture below:

I thought the 28Q had a single bar in the center of the bumper.

Very confused again,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

I'm really not trying to be a pain!

Tail lamp = "bucket" + "door,"  bracket is black, as you say.

Now for the 29 bumper, I left out the word "plate" that you so kindly circled in red.  I did the rear in black also.  These pieces are supposed to have a shiny metal rectangular "cap" over them.  When you see Joe H's car, note how these look.  He told me what belonged there and had them made for his car.  My plate has a slightly raised portion where this thin, rectangular piece fits.

My understanding for the 28 bumper is the same as yours. Here's a 28 left rear for your collection.
frank p

chetbrz

Wow, the support assembly is painted black.  I spent a lot of money having them plated.  Oh well...

They were plated already so I just assumed that they should be plated.  Knowledge is sad a day late and a dollar over spent.

:(

chetbrz

frankp

Mine are painted black, rear and front.  frank
frank p

racertb

Mine are black as well.  Everything else with the bumpers is chrome on mine.

kimmc

Those parts on my car were once black as were the "retainer plates" on the front of the upper and lower chrome bars that hold those two bars in place.  Except for the chrome bars, I plan to have all of these parts powder coated black.  Has anyone else done this?

chetbrz

Well, I called the plater to ask if he got to this job yet.., he told me he was just about to call me that the parts were done.

So I probably spent more that 2K to chrome parts that were suppose to be painted black.  :(   I have had this car for almost 12 years and I didn't notice that this was not the case since the parts on my car were chrome when I bought it.   It look nice so I never suspected anything different.

Ted when I looked at your car I never made the connection.

The next guy that does this car 50 years from now can paint these parts.  Very Frustrated !!

racertb

I had my bumper supports powder coated gloss black at the same time I had my wheel rims done.