• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Removing the wheels without screwing up

Started by Wrench29, April 25, 2012, 10:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrench29

What is the procedure from removing the caps and wheels on the 29?  Mine has the round covers on the back and hex shaped covers on the front.  Sounds stupid but I am a novice on cars this old.

1929luv

well there is a wrench for both.  The round is a "U" wrench with hooks on it to grab the back of the round cap.  There are demples and the back side of the big round cap.  The nut shape one put tape on a wrench that is made for it too.  But it catches the nut shape end.  Good luck Craig  there are some of these wrenches on e-bay. 

racertb

Do you know how long they've been on?  Have you tried by hand first?

SDGlenn

I always use an Oil Filter Wrench, the kind that tightens up when you turn it loose. The wheels themselves you need a puller that screws on where you took the hub cap off. Good Luck, I manages to do it, and if I can I'm sure you can. It took me a while before I got it right.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

I hate to admit this but a cloth and a small pipe wrench and off they came.   Yes you need a puller for the hubs especially the rear.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

My caps have two small slots (1/4 inch x 1/4 inch) about 180 degrees apart.  I used a punch and a hammer and slowly tap on each one to slowly "un screw" the caps.   Very very careful as they are thin metal
Rusty

Wrench29

Thanks much to all of you. I will look for the wrenches.  The "puller" issue I do not understand. Like when you pull a bearing or similar?

chetbrz

Use the search function on this site.  Search for "hub puller" you should find a lot of info.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Try the POC Site, there is some real good info on removing wheels from the 29s. Try the search function, "Remove wheel on 1929 Model"  should bring up some good info. late 2010 thru Sep 2011.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Gary 30U

Yes the best way to get your caps off is with the correct wrench.

For the rear hubs get a hob puller for the Model TT Ford. That is the ford truck, it has the same threads as the PLymouth. At least it fits my 30U perfectly. These are available from and good Ford parts guy like Mac's Antique Auto Parts, 800-7770948 or MacsAutoParts.com. Part number is 18-27, but they want $99.95 and you have to use a longer center bolt than they provide. If you are close to Wilsonville, OR you can borrow mine.

Just a little info.

Gary