• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Hairline Crack in Exhaust Manifold

Started by racertb, November 02, 2015, 10:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Although car is running good these days (knock on wood!), I just noticed a hairline crack in my exhaust manifold above the intake just yesterday.  Also, the usual "hot spot" between the intake and exhaust appears to be getting hot again.  Have not noticed any real sounds from the leak or performance issues just yet.  I'm thinking of trying to temporarily repair the crack with some type of high temperature exhaust cement, not JB Weld (apparently, that doesn't take the heat too well), and see how long that works before I take it off and take it somewhere to get repaired.

I'm attaching a photo that show the crack...any thoughts, ideas, experiences with this?

frankp

First off, I don't know what products are available to repair this, but I would get fixed sooner rather than later.  Logic is the heat/cool cycles will increase the crack.  I also wouldn't expect any operating issues, as this is the exhaust manifold. 
frank p

Old Man

I highly recommend you do what they do for cracks in aircraft like this. Clean the end of the crack and get a magnifying glass and find where the crack ends. Then take a drill with a 1/8" bit ,or 1/16" if you can manage it,and drill a hole at the end of the crack. This will stop the crack from going any further while you find some one to weld it shut for you. They actually do this on propellors. But they don't weld the prop cracks.