• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Exhaust Manifold metal rings.

Started by aussieQ, January 04, 2014, 04:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussieQ

I removed my exhaust and inlet manifolds to replace the leaking gaskets. On removal I found that the four metal rings that should be positioned between the engine block and manifolds are missing. Can someone please give me the dimensions of these rings so I can turn them up on a friends lathe. I wasn't sure how muck clearance they should have. Also are they made from steel or copper?

Gary S

Tinkeys

They are made of copper and they are crush rings to take up there own clearance ! They looked they were 2 pieces rolled together
Cheers Tony

Old Man

They are made the same way head gaskets are made, thin copper sheeting rolled over an asbestos inner. They were about a 1/4" "square" and slid into the block cavity with the "shoulder" of each manifold branch doing the crushing.(If I remember correctly.) As Tinkeys said they crush to fill the void the same as a head gasket. I'm not sure how one would repro them in a shop.   

imoore

Hi gary
I have one at home. I am away atm until fri arvo. Will dig it out for u if u want. Do u have the spacer tube that goes between the manifold and head?

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

aussieQ

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replys. Obviously the rings are not just locator rings as I thought. No wonder the manifolds were leaking.
Can someone please do a bit of a sketch to show me where the ring and the spacer tube (that Ian mentioned) fit between the block and the manifold.
Does anyone know if any company reproduces them?
Regards
Gary S

Gary 30U

Not sure if I am speaking out of turn here, but on my 30U I just use a standard one piece exhaust gasket provided by Olson's Gaskets and have had no problems.

I have seen the "tubes" but never thought them necessary.

Just my input and thoughts.

Happy Motoring,
Gary R.

Old Man

Yes that's correct as I remember it. A one or 2 piece gasket was eventually available to do either both sides by themselves or it went right across the block face to do them all. I think a person could make up their own since it's not a critical part. I know several of my car parts stores sell sheets and rolls of raw material to make your own gaskets both for the water jacket and the exhaust system. Cutting a circular piece from flat material,even 2 or 3 pieces, and layering them up would seal the gap.     

aussieQ

Thanks for the replys.
I have already made a one piece gasket from modern materials and installed it. I haven't started the engine yet as I have had the Vactank and carby off the car to rebuild them. They will be back on the car this weekend.
I had two reasons for asking, the first is that I that I thought if the locating rings that hold the copper gasket ring were in place it might help align the manifolds and the second was just for originality purposes.
Reading some of the T model ford forums (they have a similar set up, but slightly smaller ring size) a lot of the owners seem to think the rings give a better seal.

Regards

Gary S

29UJohn

I bought a set from Then and Now automotive. They are basically alignment rings.  Not really necessary, but can help get everything lined up.
John
1929U 4 Dr