• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Time to Get Into the Motor - Part 2 (Update)

Started by racertb, January 24, 2015, 08:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazydave

Good luck, we will be waiting for a cruising video.

chetbrz

Quote from: Crazydave on February 25, 2015, 08:41:28 PM
Here I have some pictures of the cam drive, and shaft driven by it. Notice the offset on both.

Hi Dave,

Wow !!!  It is very interesting that this offset was manufactured originally.  I guess the intention was to ensure only one installation configuration for the gear/distributor setup.  This offset would make it impossible to install the assembly/distributor 180 degrees out.  Thanks for the pictures very cool.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

I will post a video once I get her going...it will either be of me driving or video taping her on the back of a flat bed...I hope not the latter :)

I wasn't going to doing anything with the distributor yet and just see what happens by making the adjustment on the distributor drive in the housing.  But after seeing the lack of play in Dave's (which is like the spare '28 distributor I have), I may want to shim it up some as well.

I'll sleep on it...

Ted

racertb

Just adding a few more photos of the base with two shims added and installed on the motor.  Everything is lubed up.  I may install distributor and start up this weekend, or shim the distributor and then install.

racertb

Latest update.  Took a break from the car for a couple weeks, but got her timed and running today (on vacation this week).   Well, she ran for a few minutes until I put a small load on her.  Basically just reved her up a few times and she slipped out of time and shut down as she did in the past.  The rotor was in the wrong position. 

The only thing I did different was to take up the slack in the distributor drive; I did not do anything to the distributor yet. I did this on purpose to see if the drive would fix the problem.  So now, I've removed the distributor and i am going to replace the gear with a new gear I have, as well as shim it up a little to take up some of the vertical slack that I've mentioned before.  I hope this will fix things, otherwise I'll be at a loss and will be out of ideas.

frankp

Ted,

Can't imagine how frustrated you must be.  Ready for another red herring?  Have you disassembled the distributor down to removing the weights and top end of the shaft?  Maybe where the shafts mate is slipping??  For the record, I've never done this, but someone here probably has and may provide helpful hints.

frank
frank p

racertb

Frank, haven't disassembled the distributor, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.  If there are any tips or tricks from anyone, I'd like to know.  I'm convinced that I'm close to the problem and that this can't be an internal issue.  I say this because I can time and start the car every time.

Ted

racertb

Just disassembled my spare '28 distributor for "practice" and it was very easy.  Except for the reversed gear and grease cup, I believe it's identical to the '29 distributor.  I may pull apart the '29 to inspect, but I might try it first with the new gear and shims.  The vertical play/clearance is .015 now, which is much better than before but not too tight.  If this doesn't work, maybe then I'll pull the distributor apart.  Not sure what else to do after this!