• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

electric fuel pump

Started by SDGlenn, July 03, 2011, 11:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDGlenn

My electric fuel pump leaks. If I replace it does it matter if the replacement pump is Neg ground or positive ground? I see Model "A"s have a 6V Neg ground one available, but no positive ground ones...
OR, where would be a good place to find a 6V Positive ground electric fuel pump? 

Thanks
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Doug

I have my vacuum pump working but I have a carter electric pump mounted under the body for back up and it will prime the vacuum pump if need be. The carter is a neg ground, I believe that's all you will find. I just mounted mine on a piece of wood then mounted the wood to the frame, works fine.

Rusty

You can use any 6 volt electric pump.  They each have a pos and neg wire.  Use the pos for power if you use a normal neg ground system.  Just reverse the wires for pos ground.  I have bunch of stuff that is all pos ground and that is all I ever did.  Just becareful  of the pressure.  The orginial carb only needs about 2 psi so some of these pumps put out 4-6 psi.  I bought a cheap adjustable pressure regulator to drop the pressure.  On the cheap one, they have makings on 1, 2, etc and these are not 1 psi or 2 psi but just a setting of 1 , etc.  I have seen people believe those were psi settings and get really mad since the carb would always be "flooded".  I have mine on the lowest setting.  You can put a pressure gauge down stream from the regulator and turn the knob to adjust the pressure.

I can post a photo of one if needed.  Also, electic pumps push the fuel vs suck the fuel like a mechanical pump.  Mount the pump as close to the tank as possible.

rusty

SDGlenn

Thanks guys, you seem to have solved my ignorance on this topic. I will follow your lead, should be running by next weekend. lol  Hopefully.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

1929luv

Modle "A"s are posative ground and if you insulate it does not matter just put th red wire to the frame.  In other wards hook it up backwards Good luck craig and google pos gound pumps they are out there too