• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

rear axle outer grease seal

Started by Rusty, October 04, 2009, 10:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I pulled the rear brakes backing plate off to clean as the grease seal is /was leaking.  I did not have brake fuild all over the brakes  ( like the front ones ) but grease.  I bet someone over filled the zerk for the outer wheel bearing.  The grease seal is a 80 year old leather and is missing some of the leather.  The seal seems to be two pieces of metal stamped together with the seal between them.  Has anyone replaced these?  rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

I haven't had to replace these yet so I haven't looked for them.   I am sure that they must have been used on other cars of the time.  If you find a source or a good work-around please let us know.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

I am working on a replacement.  I will post my results hopefully this weekend.  rusty

29UJohn

I replaced mine.  I got the outer seals from Tom Hannaford at Then and Now Automotive (Antique Auto Cellar).  They were $38 each.  However, the stamping for the six holes was slightly off center, so I had to file them some to elongate so it would line up properly.  It you buy them from Tom, check them out closely.

There is a fellow that advertizes in the Plymouth Bulletin who makes the outer seals - Larry Chegwidden, Portland, OR.  His are $65 each and come with the gasket and instructions.  Call after 8PM Pacific time:  503-253-8941   
John
1929U 4 Dr