• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Need information on adjusting a Clutch on a 1930U Plymouth

Started by 29UJohn, August 12, 2019, 10:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

I need information on how to adjust the clutch on a 1930 U Plymouth.  I am installing a 1930U clutch on my 1929U Plymouth.  A release lever broke on the original clutch on my 1929U. I have located a 1930U clutch pressure plate assy. I installed it in the car and it appears to fit, but I need to know how to adjust it.

Thanks.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues.  My 2 cents on clutch installation.  With a modern clutch I have always adjusted the linkage to ensure that there is no pressure plate contact with the throughout bearing in the disengaged position (pedal free play).   I would adjust linkage to ensure that the clutch disengages around half travel of the clutch pedal. 

As I found out with the three arm old style clutch, centrifugal force will cause those arms to fly away from the pressure plate as rpm's increase.  I believe this is why there is a measurement between the throughout bearing and the pressure plate arms.  If the arms are too far from the throughout bearing they could open and tear themselves up like I experienced when I fired up my rebuilt engine without the transmission installed.  Also the other important thing to ensure with the three finger pressure plate is that each arm is equidistant to the throughout bearing face plate.

If the 30U plate is of the style like a modern pressure plate then there shouldn't be any concern for the pressure plate arms opening with centrifugal force.  Please verify these ramblings before taking any actions.., this is my limited understanding based on my past experiences.

Good luck,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Chet,
Thanks for the advice.  I have ordered a 1930U owners manual and hope it will have specific instructions on adjusting the clutch.
John
1929U 4 Dr

cars4u

the owners manual gives good info on pedal and clutch adjustment-good luck not like modern day adjustments in my opinion