• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Project Ozzys28 Lives!!! ...but Carb help needed...

Started by Satillite70, July 01, 2008, 01:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satillite70

I have been out of touch lately, not because I wanted to be, but I have been spending every waking moment of spare time in the garage!  ;D

I am happy to anounce that my 28 Q is now running, with a couple gas leaks and unadjusted carb with a damaged float.

As I now know the carb on my car is not original, and someone drilled a hole in the floorboard for the choke rod, and mounted a ugly piece of aluminum on the dash for it.  I am hoping to find an original carb.  I have  had trouble getting the exsisting carb to seal, and after trying three times to get it to seal with different gasket material I gave up and used copper color prematex hi-temp silicone that I used on the oil pan and side panel.  The other problem is the float was dented by the bowl freezing at some point and along with warping the top half of the carb and the mating surface with the intake manifold it now doesn't allow the float to come up high enough to close off the incoming fuel and it drips out the air cleaner canister.  I am thinking maybe bending the float, adding a shim to the top side, or replacing the thing all together.  Is there a new aftermarket replacement carb out there?  Or does anyone have a complete carb they would be willing to sell me?  I called the fellow in nearby GrandBay but I think he is on vacation as I only get his answering machine, I'm hoping he might <MIGHT> have a original carb.  Suggestions on mending the float or making a better seal on the exsisting carb for now?  I am also told that the copper permatex hi-temp silicone will be eaten by the gas, is this true?  HELP?!

The interior is essientally done except for making something for a gas pedal and cleaning up the mirror. All the fenders are back on and the wheels are done and installed.  The breaks have been bled and seem to be working well, parking brake fixed and rear end of the drive shaft tightened up.  The thing I didn't think I could fix which I managed to get done in one eveing was rebuilding the pass side rear spring shackle that was worn right through, a bit of welding, die grinder and a couple pieces of metal cut off a rowing machine did the trick!  More on this later.  The front linkage for the steering box has been cleaned and repaired, everything on the car has been greased and the wheels will hopefully turn today once a few more bolts are tightened in the fender and running board on the pass side.

If all goes well I am hoping to get the car running well enough to take it to Moncton Atlantic Nationals next weekend.  I am taking a week's vacation starting on Sunday to get her tuned up and work out any bugs, squeeks and rattles.

Photos later this week.

Cheers,
    Chris Osborne

chetbrz

Chris,

Just an FYI...  The gasket sets for the 175 & 196 ci engines are available.  I believe Gasket City in Canada sells them as well as other venders.     http://www.gasketcity.com/

It sounds like you are making good progress with your classic.  As far as the gas pedal goes it is basically a 'U' shaped rod that is attached to the fire wall.  I am traveling over the 4th of July weekend but when I get back I will try to take some pictures.  With some measurements you could probably fabricate something if you could find some quarter round steel stock. 

Good luck with the carburetor.

Chet... 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

For a carb, it may take you a long time to find a working original.  In the meanwhile, you could probably use a Carter BB-1 Universal Updraft carb.  This would be easier to obtain.  This carb is a replacement for the 1932 PB Carter types 4A2 and 4A3, but I beleive it will work on the 28.  (Maybe someone else can comment on this to confirm or not?)

Another option would be to get a rebuilt Tillotson from a Ford Model A parts dealor.  I used one on my 29 for a while until I found an original Carter brass bowl type.  Unfortunately, I no longer have the Tillotson carb.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Satillite70

Chet,
    The gas pedal linkage is all there and working, ok, the pedal itself has been unscrewed, I made a crude but functional pedal from a nut and stainless steel fender washer as a temporary fix.  The linkage that has been added is for the choke.  Thanks for the link on the gaskets, I'll order a set ASAP.  The carb it would seem is the biggest hang-up at the moment.

John, thanks for the carb details, hope to find one soon, as long as it works and isn't leaking!  ... pouring fuel on the ground that is.
$20 in gas to go a mile across town for inspection is pretty bad.

I am going to try plugging off the port that is leaking, but I have a feeling that it will then just pour out somewhere else.

Also any suggestions on a fix for a dripping needle valve on the vacuum tank?  Seems to be coming out the stem.

I have scratch the idea of driving the car to the Moncton AtNats for this year, but will still attend.

She's a noisey old girl that likes to smoke, but I love my Plymouth!

Chris

p4jim

My 30u carb leaked due to the needle valve not stopping the fuel flow.  I think.  I finally had a carb shop rebuild it and replace the needle and seat.  My 30 still runs rough, how much difference will a thermastat make.  jim

chetbrz

Quote from: Satillite70 on July 05, 2008, 11:24:02 PM

I am going to try plugging off the port that is leaking, but I have a feeling that it will then just pour out somewhere else.

Chris,

Carter brass bowl carburetors were also used on Chevy's of the same period.  I was surprised to run across them at a Chevy dealer's concession at Hershey last year.

I believe that John also mentioned that Modal 'A' ford carburetors will also work.

See link to Mikes-A-Ford-able..

http://www.mikes-afordable.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MFP&Category_Code=1046

Your Carb looks like a Marval:

Anyway, Mike's has a lot of parts, might find something for your float valve problem.

If you can't find what you need to get going then try other Ford sources.  If you call or email them they might have a rebuild kit for you present carb. 

I hope this helps...  Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Satillite70

I think the float not floating high enough is the problem.
    The photo you posted is exactly the carb I have on the car, so it must be a Marvel, although similar to a Tillotson I saw... I wish mine was stamped with name and part numbers.

Chris

nostalgic

For what its worth, we have been running a Tillotson "JR4 A" on our 29 for as many years as I can remember, Im pretty sure dad said the Carter was "a mongrel of a thing!"   those would be his words

This is a JR5 A which is for a 6cyl, but I bought it just in case it might fit our car some day, it looks exactly the same to me as the 4A

I notice there is a Carter up on auction at the moment, I think it may be the correct one for the 28Q best you do some checking first, maybe ask some of the experts here
Ebay Auction  No is  270278620294
Good luck
George

PS this auction only has 2 day to run...

kiwi29

I have a couple of Carter carbs and some spare floats etc. I replaced my carter with a tillotson JR4a as well. The Carter were renowned for being very hard to tune in and quite heavy on gas usage compared to the Aftermarket tillotson. The other problem was breakage of the choke tube casting and most of the carter bodies I have, are broken. If you are interested I can dig out a good float and send it to you, just let me know.

Satillite70

Thanks for the offer on the float, but mine is a Marvel, I bought two spares on ebay for $30 a few months ago, so I'm all set for spart parts for running carbs, but am looking to get an original Carter to tinker with.

I found out the front axle and spring U bolts had come loose on the pass. front of my car, and as I rolled her out of the garage I noticed the wheel moved back and forth as it went over the hump in the doorway.... no wonder it was wandering all over the roadways!  Going to have a close look at it tomorrow.

BTW: I see a 28 Q coupe on ebay right now, no bids at ~8,000 in need of a TOTAL restoration.

Thanks again!
Chris