• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Vacuum Tank and Glass Sediment Bowl

Started by racertb, February 07, 2014, 11:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Can anyone tell me if our cars came equipped with a glass sediment bowl attached to (or put in line with before the carb) the vacuum tank?

The few photos I've seen shows some with and some without (mine is without since I'm using a fuel pump instead of the tank) so I'm not 100% sure.  And if the sediment bowl should be there, where/how is it located in line?  In some photos with the bowl, it's hard to tell.

Does anyone have a correct diagram or way that the fuel lines going into and out from the vacuum tank are to be?  And, where the sediment bowl is supposed to be?

I doubt I will ditch the fuel pump, but I'd like to have this information for future reference.

Thanks for your help...

Ted

chetbrz

Well Ted,

My car didn't have a working Kingston Fuel Tank but I managed to pick up one from someplace I don't remember if it was eBay or a forum member.  Needless to say it looked pretty original and unmolested.   In an effort to restore the vacuum pump I needed to remove the Sediment bowl which was attached to the the bottom of the Vacuum Fuel pump.  If I recall the sediment bowl also had a shut off valve but it is hard to see in the picture.  I believe it was on the side facing the wood.  It was old pot metal and just crumbled apart.  The bowl in the picture connected directly to the bottom of the Kingston Tank.  In retrospect I probably should not have attempted to remove it.

Now whether this was original equipment I can't confirm or deny but it seems to me that if it wasn't.., it should have been.  From the vacuum pump the gas just gravity feeds to the carb.

Chet...

PS... The Kingston Fuel pump pictured above was original to the 1929 Plymouths and probably other years also.  Check the parts book.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Thanks, Chet...I have the Kingston as well.  I'm just trying to figure out the correct "plumbing" configuration for the lines, including the sediment bowl.  I can see the shut off valve in your photo and I can also see where the bowl directly attached to the tank.

frankp

Ted,

The vac tank that came on my car had a sediment bowl like Chet's picture.  The non-leaking replacement tank does not have a bowl, just a shut-off valve.  I put an "s" curved steel tube from it to the carb.  I don't know which is correct or maybe both are, depending on when built.

On top, the gas tank line fits the female brass fitting and the male is attached to a line from the rear of the oil pump.  Note the small diameter of this line.  Some may show this line from the intake manifold to the vac tank, which is not correct.  Manifold line is connected to the valve on the dash to operate the windshield wiper.

' wish i knew where this picture came from, but don't.
frank
frank p

racertb

Thanks Frank...this makes it easy to figure out.  I think John Fain mentioned that the line from the vacuum tank to the carb should be a flexible line, not metal or copper...I don't know for sure, but the copper line would look nice.  I think you sent me photos of your engine compartment before; I need to find them!

Ted

frankp

Hi Ted,

I believe John did say it should be flexible.  I would not recommend copper though it does look good.  I used copper until it left me high and dry 90 miles from home.  It broke at the flange from, I think, all the vibration.  I've read this is a characteristic of copper.  The steel (brake tubing) has lasted many years and miles.  The 1st pic is my set-up.  The 2nd is Ray Ovick's 29U 2dr Sedan at the August 2002 POC National in Grand Rapids, MN.

frank
frank p

SteveG

Quote from: frankp on February 09, 2014, 09:45:31 AM
Hi Ted,

I believe John did say it should be flexible.  I would not recommend copper though it does look good.  I used copper until it left me high and dry 90 miles from home.  It broke at the flange from, I think, all the vibration.  I've read this is a characteristic of copper.  The steel (brake tubing) has lasted many years and miles.  The 1st pic is my set-up.  The 2nd is Ray Ovick's 29U 2dr Sedan at the August 2002 POC National in Grand Rapids, MN.

frank

You are so right about copper tubing having a tendency to brake at the flare connection. Two weeks ago the flare fitting broke at the oil pump and pumped the engine dry! I think I pulled over in time to avoid damage to the engine, but the oil pump is now chattering slightly.

SteveG