• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Spark Plug Wires

Started by racertb, January 15, 2014, 06:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

Any recommendations on replacement spark plug wires for our cars, whether a set from a supplier/vendor, or a "kit" to make my own?  I haven't looked around too much lately and just want to know what you've used in the past or recently.  I'd like to find authentic or close to authentic as possible.

Thanks!

Old Man

The wires were originally black laquered cloth with rubber insides and braided "solid" wire. The sparkplug connectors were 90 degree open with no boots. I use the better modern ozone proof neoprene braided wire type. I use a screw type in-line resistor on the coil wire. This cuts down on "motorboating" in your radio and any around you. "Popping" in your radio and transmitting it about a square block around your car was quite common with these old cars. I don't recommend cutting up up-market modern silicone wires ,to make your own,as it's also most impossible to make a good connection. I know this doesn't help with where you would buy them as I make my own from stuff bought at fleamarkets.  

SteveG

I think I bought mine from "Then & Now".  Look fine and with the right lengths.

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive_part.htm

SteveG

racertb

Thanks for the input...no radio to worry about on mine.  The ones on there look to be laid out like the originals would be (90 degree attachment to the plug, no boot, etc.) but they are not the originals.  The are a black wire by (Packard aftermarket).

Also, what is the correct color?  Black?  I thought I read somewhere that an "oak" color (a dark orange) is correct for "early" cars.  How about the size...7mm or 9mm?  Again, I saw something about 9mm for "early" cars as well, but I think that would be to thick to fit through the steel wire loom.

Thoughts on this?  What are your guys using?