• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Battery Cable Question

Started by racertb, September 05, 2018, 06:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Thanks everyone for the pics and replies...another good topic and mystery.  I will look for a strap to have one, but already ordered two heavy duty cables that I will hook up as it's set up now to see if that makes any difference.  I may find a strap like Chet's and attach for the hell of it.

There was a thread I found somewhere where someone mentioned a strap to the frame or elsewhere and their starter turned over faster?  Not sure why as long as it was a good ground.  I know the thick cables (00) on there should hopefully help...we'll see.  They should be here next week.  Once on, I'll let you know if they make any difference by themselves.

Ted

racertb

Frank - does your battery sit in a box with handles?  My battery just drops down into a tray  ???

frankp

Ted,  you noticed those non-stock items!  Since the battery is smaller than the opening, I made plywood shims, side and back, to keep the battery level and prevent it bouncing around.  The handles make it easier to remove the shims.
frank p

racertb

Smart thinking and great idea!

frankp

frank p

racertb

Chet - would you have a pic of this?  I want to make sure I'm visualizing this the correct way when it comes to this passenger side ground strap:

"...which attached to the passenger side rear motor mount frame bolt and also attached to one of the two bell housing bolts that attach the bell housing to the motor mount."

chetbrz

Ted,

I don't remember taking a picture of this but I will review my pictures and see if I caught this by accident.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Thanks, please let me know if you do.

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on September 08, 2018, 08:12:48 PM
Thanks, please let me know if you do.

Hi Ted,

This is the best I could come up with.  The strap connects to the bottom bell housing (motor) bolt inside the motor mount and the other side connects to the top motor mount frame bolt.  The most important thing is that it ensures good conductivity from the frame to the bell housing and motor.  If you install one make sure no paint or crud insulates the connection.

In the picture below you can see a hint of the strap sticking out the bottom of the motor mount.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

frankp

Ted,  another pic of passenger side.
frank p

racertb

racertb

A cautiously optimistic update.  The new cables were installed two days ago. The battery was put on the tender and charged up.  About an hour ago, I went out to start the car thinking I would be getting just the starter turning over faster and easier.  Well, it was much better than that. As soon as I hit the starter button, she fired right up. She didn't even turn over a full turn and she was running.  Obviously, I was/am very happy.  Even when I had a new battery, it was never this easy.

Again, cautiously optimistic.  Hopefully this will be the new norm, but we'll see.  At this point, I only changed the battery cables and have not added the passenger side ground strap yet.

Ted

racertb

Another update...had the car out over the weekend.  Cold starting, hot starting, no problem..car has never started this easy and should have done this years ago.  If you need to change your cables, or just want new ones, please do it and get big one's (I went with 2/00).  You and you car will be happier :)

Ted

frankp

frank p