• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Tire Pressure?

Started by SteveG, November 17, 2013, 12:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG

Owners Manual says 40 front,35 back.

I'm running 40 both. 20" wood wheels newer Firestones.

What tire pressure do you guys run?

Thanx
SteveG

frankp

I go with Instruction Book pressures you noted.

Old Allstates with newer tubes on 19" wood wheels.

frank
frank p

aussieQ

I am running Firestone on the rear and Excelsior on the front of my 20" wood wheels. I have been running both front and rear at 38 PSI but recently noticed that the excelsior have a maximum rating of 32 PSI printed on it.
I also found that if running the Excelsior at the 32 PSI the tubes seem to move causing the valve stem to change position slightly after a lot of braking. Has anyone else found this?

GaryS

chetbrz

Quote from: aussieQ on November 18, 2013, 08:27:15 PM
I am running Firestone on the rear and Excelsior on the front of my 20" wood wheels. I have been running both front and rear at 38 PSI but recently noticed that the excelsior have a maximum rating of 32 PSI printed on it.
I also found that if running the Excelsior at the 32 PSI the tubes seem to move causing the valve stem to change position slightly after a lot of braking. Has anyone else found this?

GaryS

If you talk to a retailer they will tell you to fill the tires to the Max rating on the tire.  As for the tube moving probably due to the tire slipping on the rim.   A slight movement might be the tire placement if it keeps creeping maybe the inner bead is too smooth.  If painted or powder coated the inner bead surface may be a little slippery.  Also using a lubricant to mount the tires might cause a little creep until the fluid evaporates.

Just thinking out loud no facts to backup the statements.  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

aussieQ

Thanks Chet,

have thought of similar reasons for the tyre creeping when inflated at the tyre manufacturers recommended 32PSI. The tyres have been on the rims at least 7 years so it's not a lubricating fluid type of issue. As you say maybe the inside of the rim is just too smooth. I didn't have any plans of removing the front wheels from the rims at this stage, but I have just bought 2 Firestones this week for the rear. I will be replacing the rear tyres in a few weeks.
Maybe I'll get a clue to what's happening to the front when I see the inside of the rear rims.

GaryS

racertb

I'm running 32 PSI in my Lester's with wood spoke wheels...

frankp

Say Chet and everyone,

Had my winter tires/wheels re-torqued today on daily driver at local tire shop.  I asked about tire pressure for balloon tires and they said to follow what auto manufacturer says, if you know it., otherwise in the 32- 26 (psi) range.  (They have good relation with Coker Tire and do business with many MSRA, Minnesota Street Rod Association, folks.)  He went on to say the max tire pressure should not be exceeded for a maximum load.  This is in line with what I recall from previous discussions, but that was long ago.

Chet, I respect your info, but I haven't had any problems with the lower pressures.  Always willing to learn, though.

Hey SteveG, what issues are you having to prompt the question?  (I'm gettin' old here, bear with me please?)

frank
frank p

chetbrz

Frank,

I never use to fill to max pressure either.  I recently purchased trailer tires and the seller told me that they should always be inflated to the max rating on the tire.  In this case 50 psi.  It might be time to check this out on the internet.  After all..., we know that anything we find on the internet is correct.  LOL  :o

Well I checked and according to the Michelinman you should set your tire pressure to the car manufacturer's specifications not to exceed the Max tire pressure.  Maybe it is different with trailer tires ???

Sorry for the confusion.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SteveG

Hey SteveG, what issues are you having to prompt the question?  (I'm gettin' old here, bear with me please?)

frank
[/quote]

Actually I'm having no problems to speak of. I've only had my Plymouth for six months and wanted to know the ideal pressure for long wear and comfort.
The max. was 40 on the Firestones and thats what I was running. I think I'll use 34 for now.

SteveG

chetbrz

frankp

Chet,

Thanks for the link.  Written for today, but seems to apply for our cars/tires as well.

SteveG,

I got it.  For me, the wear has been fine, but comfort seems to be elusive.

A Correction to my last pressures should be 32 - 36.  Sorry for any confusion.  I need an editor!

frank
frank p

SteveG

Gary 30U

Checked the Instruction Book for the "Q", Third edition October 1928, and the first and second editions for the "30U" and all three say 40 PSI in the front, and 35 PSI in the rear. but that was based on the tires made at the time. I would tend to go with the pressures sited by Frank. I have been running my Firestone 19X4.5/5.00 at 32 PSI and they seem to ride and wear just fine.

Happy Motoring, Gary R.

aussieQ

Hi Gary,

you raise a good point about the tyre pressures for tyres made with the materials and technology 85 years ago as compared to the pressures needed for tyres made now with modern materials and technology, not to mention we are generally driving on road conditions far superior to that around when the cars were new. Best to stick to the current manufacturers recomendations.

Regards

GaryS