• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Radiator fluid

Started by Rusty, July 08, 2012, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I finally got around to replace my rad hoses as I got tried of all three of them slowly leaking.  I had used a red hose as I liked the look.  I do not know if that was original or not.  I got 24 inches of 2 inch modern black hose and cut the pieces to fit.  Does not leak not.  Does any one run straight water?  I thought I had read some where that straight water was a better heat conductor that the classic radiator fluid.  Modern rad fluid has a higher boiling temp but does it conduct heat better??????  I do not drive the car in the winter so freezing is not a concern.  What does most people do?
Rusty

imoore

Hi rusty,
when i flushed my radiator i just added a rust inhibitor. I made it a weak mix.

Hope this helps

Ian

1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Tinkeys

Hi Rusty !
Penrite makes a good rust inhibitor for vintage radiators , I was told that modern coolant attacks the lead in honey comb radiators and the Penrite stuff is just a rust inhibitor , that's what I am using . Cheers Tony.

Rusty

I will look for such, thanks.  My orginial honeycomb rad leaked and had terrible flow and got replaced. rusty

SDGlenn

I had my radiator out and to a repair shop here. They told me it was not repairable. I put it back in the car with a bottle of Barrs stop leak, it has not leaked in 2 years now. lol I realize I will have to replace it but for now.........  I am a believer in having antifreeze in all cars radiators, no exceptions. (I) believe it keeps the system clean, stops the rust problems and cools better than just water. Just my belief...
Car show at the Ford garage this Saturday Rusty, you going?  Look at the 34 Dodge coupe  they have in the show room, it is beautiful.
Later
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Doug

What he said. Antifreeze is good for the cooling system. water from a tap has to many menials in it. 

aussieQ

Hi all,
An interesting subject and one that I have struggled with to find what is correct for our vehicles.
This exact question was asked several months ago during a club tour at Pentite oil tour.
Their answer was with regards to heat transfer properties, nothing is better than plain water. They went on to say that plain water is not necessarily the best thing for your engine ie it does not inhibit rust, will freeze if you take it up the snow (not something many vintage drivers do here in Australia).
Modern coolants and anti freeze were discussed but as they contain Ethylene Glycol they are not usually suitable for vintage engines and or the vintage radiator. Ethylene glycol is corrosive; the manufacturers add rust inhibitors to their coolants to counteract this. If you dilute the mix more than the manufacturers' recommendations you dilute the rust inhibitors allowing the solution to induce rust or corrosion in the system.
Obviously this was a bit of sales talk as they finished by saying that their product does not contain Ethylene glycol. This said, I do believe their product or similar is better than modern coolants for our vehicles.
With my vehicle I have been using a rust inhibitor (a Repco brand) which contains molybdenum disulphide in solution. If my car had a water pump this would also help lubricate it.

Gary

Rusty

Sdglen, I plan on going this sat.  The problem I had with rad fluid is that I had over heated due to a plugged rad.  I blew rad fluid all over the hood .  I never cleaned off the fluid for 6 months which very much stained the paint permently. My fault completely.  I figured plain water would be less harmful to paint.  If I wash off any spilled fluid, then my problems would be solved.  I did place some Teflon pipe sealer on the radiator hoses, that worked nice, zero leaks.  Rusty