• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

What's the deal with the interior locking door handles?

Started by moparfreak77, September 03, 2018, 10:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparfreak77

How do you get in if you accidentally lock all the doors?

rwollman

that should be kinda hard to do since the drivers door lokcs in the opposite direction to open it from the inside - one would have to purposely lock the door after getting out.Not saying it can't happen- answer to yur question - very carefully

chetbrz

Interesting:

My car doesn't have any glass in it at the moment so I tried to do exactly as mentioned.  I could lock 3 of the four doors by pulling the handle to lock position and then closing the door.  The front passenger door I couldn't lock by lifting the interior handle.  It would seem to me that the key lock handle would be fitted on the drivers side door.

I have not removed or inspected the passenger side door mechanism yet so it could be broken or fitted in a way to ensure that one door has to be operated by the key lock in the handle ??

Just an observation from my car in its present condition.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Lock handles in twenties and thirties where on passenger side, was a safety regulation . Did not want some one opening a door  in to a horse or something . My door has separate level to lock it and is only on driver side ,so key must be on pass. side to lock it .

Crazydave

Key lock handle is on the passenger side. (mine was and I believe it is correct based on past discussions)

chetbrz

Great,

That's in line with what I discovered about my old car.  I have had this car for over 10 years and learn something new about it all the time.  Could possibly be that I forget more than I learn.  You know one step forward and two steps back.  LOL

Tks,  Chet..
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

moparfreak77

So the outside passenger front door handle is keyed? I am missing that handle. Maybe someone removed it to break in. Are these hard to find? Also need an interior door handle or window crank.

Crazydave

More like impossible to find. (in a usable condition)

There is a guy that used my good handles to recast and make new ones for members here. If you search it, you can find the thread. Or if you want contact info we can provide it. Think you are a ways away from those finishing touches. But if you decide to keep and it redo the car, order them up!

Articifer Tom

Not sure what they look like on your cars can you post pic ?