• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1929 U type chassis number

Started by Mick O Connor, May 12, 2020, 03:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick O Connor

Hi. My 1929 U type is missing it's chassis number identifiers. It has a small plate with Holden stamped on it with a 4 digit number 2072.  It's engine number is U100113.  Is there any way of finding out what the chassis number might be and is it possible to get a plate made up to replace the original. Many thanks. Mick

ski

My car has the same number stamped on the engine and in at least two places on the frame rails. It is registered and titled in CA with this number. There is a body number on a rectangle tag nailed to the wood floor but this number does not appear on any paperwork. I've heard from others that their cars are registered and titled the same way as mine but then others who have different numbers on their paperwork such as body number or the serial number on the dash. Some say, "why would they use an engine number for the chassis number when engines can get changed" but I look at as the engine having the chassis number stamped on it.  This is how it was mandated to be done on modern cars starting in 1967.  As of then all engines were required to have a portion of the VIN stamped on the engine, typically the last 6 digits. Look at the outside of your frame rail behind the left side (drivers) front wheel just forward of the fitting where the soft brake line transitions to hard line and also further back on the same side approx. in the area below the middle of the drivers door. I think it's also on the other side rail in that same place but I have not verified just now as my car is up against the wall. I don't know of anywhere to find out what body number was assigned to what chassis (VIN) number. I doubt Chrysler saved that kind of info but who knows?

chetbrz

For the 1928Q and the 1929U there were no serial numbers stamped on the frames.   The Car's ID number was the FEDCO Number on the Dashboard emblem.    There are also the Engine serial number and the Body ID tag which for the Hayes Manufactured cars was a label on the floor near the battery box.  That's it.  If there are numbers on the frame it is because they were stamped there after the manufacturing process to satisfy the local DMV. 

My car was titled in Florida as a 28Q under the Hayes Body ID number.  The state I am in will not allow this to be changed to correctly identify the car as a 1929U under the FEDCO number.  If I didn't use the number that it was titled for in Florida they would issue a new number and it would be stamped on the frame.

Many of these cars in existence were barn finds without documentation so whatever was required to title them.., that's what people did.  As far as cars constructed in Australia Chrysler sent the engine and frame and the bodies were constructed locally ??? Don't know any details about this.

My 2 cents, sorry if this isn't helpful.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Mick O Connor

Thanks for the replies.  This does throw light on my dilemma.  Very helpful. Regards. Mick