• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Wood Spoke Repair

Started by racertb, June 26, 2020, 02:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Doing some repair work on my left rear wood wheel, the culprit that needs attention every few years.  I had "repaired" these 6-7(?) years ago by using a method in an issue of Skinned Knuckles that was helpful at the time.  This involved using 1/2" copper tubing (from Home Depot) as a sleeve to take up some slack between the spoke and the fellow.  Then, a 1" washer would be screwed down in place to cover the top of the spoke.  This was an easy fix that lasted for a while.  When I had the wheels re-done (painted and pinstriped about three years ago), the painter removed the washers and left the copper in place.  I guess the paint had helped hold everything together since then.

Fast forward to last weekend, when after a drive I could hear the spokes (turns out about half of them) making clicking sounds indicating another repair would need to be made.  I took the wheel off the other night to inspect and tried a slightly different repair.  The copper is still in place, but I drove two brad nails into each spoke between the copper and the metal fellow.  This tightened everything up nicely, however, I wasn't done yet.  From there, I used a product by Wonderloc (Tite Chairs) which works on wood, metal, etc.  This was put in around the spokes between the copper and metal and surrounding the brads...hopefully a little more insurance.  Then, I used another product on top of the exposed spoke wood (no washers anymore) called Swel-Lock used for swelling wood/tightening up wood joints.  This soaked in the wood nicely and into the holes from the previous screws.  Everything looks and feels to be nice and tight, but only a drive and time will tell.  To find a set of wire wheels might be on my list in the future!

Ted

chetbrz

Ted,

I know you just did such a nice job on the wheel paint but have you ever considered having the wheels respoked.  I guess after the paint job and pin striping one would want to do anything to keep the wheels turning.  FYI Anyway... There is a guy in PA and another in California that does this work.  Cost is about $250 - $300 per wheel.  Unfortunately backlog is around a year last time I inquired. 

http://www.calimerswheelshop.com/

Wire wheels would look great on your car if you can find them.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

I've considered respoking as a last resort mainly because of a wait time. Plus, then I would have to get the wheel repainted and striped hoping it would match the others. The good thing at this point is that this is the only wheel that has been giving me a problem.  If this fix doesn't work and I believe it will for a while, I would have to consider that. But, wire wheels would be my choice if I could find them as you said.

chetbrz

Hi Ted,  how did your wheel fix turn out.  Have you driven it.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Not yet.  I plan on checking it out this weekend.  I'll be sure to report back!

frankp

Ted,  have you explored viability of Amish wheelwrights for new spokes?  Good luck with your fix!
frank p

racertb

Haven't explored too much. At this point, it's only the one wheel and as of today, everything is back together and nice and tight. If I can get it to last at least a few years like the last time, I'll be happy. Hopefully road testing tomorrow.  Of course, if you know of anybody who has some wire wheels and drums or whatever I need to go with it, I'd be interested. I'll post once I do a road test. 🙂

Ted

racertb

Finally was able to do a road test today. Although it's 98° outside with a feels like temperature of 107°,  I took the car for a short ride for about 10 miles. Car ran great, and everything is still nice, tight and quiet when it comes to the left rear spokes.  I believe this repair is much more solid than the one I did several years ago, so we'll have to see over time.

Ted

chetbrz

Good news I hope it lasts for a long time.  Stay Safe. Chet

frankp

frank p