• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

grease fittings

Started by 1930, July 19, 2011, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone tell me when plymouth went from a zerk fitting as seen here to the Alemite hydraulic
Jason Anderson

Tinkeys

My 30u has zerk and some almite so my guess is later than 1930 .

Jason Anderson

Gary 30U

When I had my 30U judged at last years POC meet in POrtland I was told that the correct one for the early Plymouth was the zerk style. Think I remember being told that Plymouth never used the pin type. Not sure when they changed over to the alemite fittings, but Earl Buton, Jr probably knows, I will eMail him.

Gary

PBroadster

Earl Buton visited my PB roadster project in late May and pointed out that the 1932 Plymouth 4 cylinders used the zerk fitting.

chetbrz

My 1948 P15 has zerk fittings.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

No Plymouth would never have used the pin-type.
In studying Dodge I can make some  fairly educated assumptions concerning Plymouth.
Chrysler, Dodge,Plymouth, Desoto, Fargo ect would have all made alot of the same changes across the board because the service centers had to maintain all makes and models so you would not have seen a brand new 1932 Plymouth and the same Dodge in adjoining bays with different style fittings which would have required different technique to service.
The only time this would have been possible would have been in the cases where there were excess zerk to be used up possibly.
Dodge discontinued the use of the pin-type sometime in April of 1923 and went with the zerks up until sometime 33-34 so Plymouth would certaintely have been introduced with zerks.
Todd Fitch posted this on his site.........This information is distilled from [Cannon 2004]. There are two types of pressure lubrication (grease) fittings found on early Plymouths: Zerk and "Alemite hydraulic". Both were manufactured by Stewart Warner. The Zerk fitting, shown on the left, was used on Plymouth through 1933. The "modern" "Alemite hydraulic", shown on the right, was used on Plymouth starting in 1934..........
I would like to know the source that skinned knuckles used for this information. I have a couple of people that have offered the articles to me and am only waiting for someone to have the time to push thru with it.
Earl Butons comments are appreciated.
Jason Anderson

quote........My 1948 P15 has zerk fittings......This has to be a typo! or there is confusion on what a zerk fitting is. The fitting with the ball on the end is not a zerk as everyone likes to call it.
Jason Anderson

Here is some good general info.........The ball end grease fitting which most people mistakenly call a Zerk fitting is actually an Alemite Hydraulic fitting. It was developed by Alemite enginners in 1932-33 and was common on most American cars by 1934.
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

Quote from: 1930 on July 21, 2011, 07:12:04 AM
quote........My 1948 P15 has zerk fittings......This has to be a typo! or there is confusion on what a zerk fitting is. The fitting with the ball on the end is not a zerk as everyone likes to call it.

I know what a Zerk fitting is and my 1948 Plymouth has Zerk fittings.  At least the rear axel for sure.  I bought an assortment of the Modern Hydraulic type to eliminate the Zerk but I am told that with the Hydraulic type it is easy to blow out the rear axel seal on the P15.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Just got an eMail from Earl Buton, Jr. answering this question that I posed to him.

He stated that the early 28-33 Plymouths used the zerk fitting, either straight or angled depending on location. That the 34 was the first year to use the hydraulic (or Alemite) fittings.

Just some more info.

Gary

Quote.....I know what a Zerk fitting is and my 1948 Plymouth has Zerk fittings.  At least the rear axel for sure........That is interesting and I think your idea about why they may have still been used there is good. Interesting info, thanks.
Quote.......He stated that the early 28-33 Plymouths used the zerk fitting, either straight or angled depending on location. That the 34 was the first year to use the hydraulic (or Alemite) fittings...........Thanks for that Gary
Jason Anderson

SDGlenn

I replaced all my zerk fittings with the ball type, mainly because I had no way to grease the zerk type.  If anybody is interested in the Zerk fitings I have the whole set for the 1929 plymouth coupe. Both staight and angled.
I am not in the business of selling items for the plymouths, if anybody has use for items I listed here it only costs you the shipping charges.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

I have just had a relatively new 28 Victory owner ask if I had any to spare so I am sure we would appreciate having the fittings if they are still available
Jason Anderson

SDGlenn

I am not offering these zerks up for someone to make a profit from. If anybody has use for them on their Plymouth (or other car) I will be glad to send them to that person.  Thru this forum.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn