• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

I made a lever!

Started by Touring29, July 28, 2023, 09:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

It took me all afternoon but I think it came out ok. I used some sheet metal and a lot of mig wire but I think it looks pretty good for a lever that won't do anything. I don't have a clum switch to hook it to but its a start. I filled the little voids and will sand and paint it and the other one.

Articifer Tom

Well Done . An artist .

chetbrz

[ :) quote author=Articifer Tom link=msg=10659 date=1690637070]
Well Done . An artist .
[/quote]

I agree with Tom, Nice job. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Touring29

I was pretty surprised I was able to make it look kind of original. I started by cutting some thin sheet metal pieces in a shape that somewhat looked like a lever. Then I just welded them together and added weld where it need some and ground off everything that didn't look like the factory lever. Eventually the inner lever in it came out. It welded easily to the disc after I ground the broken one off. After I took that picture I smoothed it up some more then got out our Montgomery Ward engraver we have had since the 70's (still in its cardboard box btw) and roughed up the sides to look like it was knurled. I painted them both flat black because I don't know what color they are supposed to be and neither does anyone else in Texas, besides that's what I had handy.

Crazydave

Nice. Both of them on my sedan are broken off, but are intact on the roadster. They were plated, kind of like the door handles (on a sedan) I can take a picture if you want.

Touring29

I have some pictures of them and the old one had some kind of plating on it but I couldn't figure out a way to reproduce it with anything I have available. I think they look pretty good black and matches the steering wheel. On the bakelite bell I glued up a small crack with superglue sanded it with some 600 grit and sprayed clear on it. Same with the piece the horn button goes in.You cannot view this attachment.

Articifer Tom

I used Q Bond glue system by KTool . It has black and white reinforcing powders and fast super glues . Did couple years ago on cracked steering wheel hub . Check You tubes on two thumbs up for me .