• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Guys with electric fuel pumps in place of vacuum canisters

Started by Crazydave, July 30, 2014, 11:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazydave

I ordered a 6 volt electric pump to get me rolling while I find (hope to someday) a replacement vacuum canister. Its the lowest pressure (I can find) available, 2.5 - 4 PSI. Does anyone know roughly what PSI these gravity fed carburetors can handle? It is suppose to be internally regulated, so I should not need a return line. Just wondering what other guys have done. I may try and choke it down with a needle valve if I have to.

chetbrz

Dave,

I also have a 2-4 psi fuel pump and have used it for a number of years with no problems.  I got the idea from the Model A ford guys.  I use a 6v positive ground inverter to produce 12 vdc negative ground for the pump.  It goes on with the ignition switch ckt.  I bought my fuel pump from Auto-Zone.  I also run a 6vdc positive ground alternator rather than the Generator.  Nothing is modified and can easily be returned to original.  Just a note: I don't run the stock carburetor.  I have a Tilson updraft carburetor from the early 30's.  It might have been designed for a mechanical fuel pump I don't know for sure.

Chet..
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

I use a Carter 6v pump with an old dial type inline fuel pressure regulator.  The dial is set on #2, but who knows if that's correct or not.  However, it was set down to 1 1/2 at one time and it stumbled occasionally until I moved it to #2.  This set up has been on the car for many years.

Crazydave

Well I believe I finally have collected enough brass fittings to plumb any configuration I need. I am going to pull the fitting out of the tank and plumb everything up to the carb in rubber and see if I can get it to work. (Regulate properly) Going to try and do some of it tonight as, my deadline is approaching rapidly. Still have to get the tank flushed as well...........................

ski

I could only get the regulator that came with the car down to 4 psi.  I used a small round regulator down stream from that regulator that gets the pressure down to 1.5 psi. I picked it up at a yard sale.  It looks like something that came from a mail order catalog and I've seen them around before. The carb pisses out fuel minimally with this setup. I ordered a Holley regulator from Jeg's that adjusts from 1-4 psi but I sent it back cause it would not adjust.  I'll let you know if the replacement is any better.

Here's a picture of the setup I have right now.

ski

Crazydave

So you can say with certainty the carb don't like 4 PSI? Looks to be quite a bit different then the carter I have.

The only regulator that I have on hand, came with a Holley blue fuel pump with is too large. Since the pump I bought is suppose to be internally regulated, I may try just try choking it down and seeing how it responds.

ski

It seems to dump more raw fuel with the 4 psi but it may be my imagination.  I also raised the float level a bit and stopped pumping the gas with the engine static.  I learned that updraft carbs do not like to be started with gas, they prefer to be choked to life.

ski

ski

That carb is an aftermarket Tillotson.  I think they're a universal replacement.  I have a suspected good carter updraft I will try on it at some point.

Crazydave

Well I did nothing, but plumb in the fuel pump and run it. Seems to work. Have not run it a lot as it is not quite road legal yet, so any stumbles or hesitates could be related to carb and timing tuning as well. (with I have tinkered with very minimally) Seems to run good. I may just do the gas plumbing to look stock, and continue to use the pump. Seems like it maybe more reliable than the vacuum cans.

This is what I bought in a panic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Fuel-Pump-6V-Plymouth-1932-1931-1930-1929-1928-can-be-assist-or-primar-/400754723854?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4ed7cc0e&vxp=mtr

unmuneco

Good Morning Gentlemen,

reading thru the post's I am having the same issue with my 28  :( ?

Any suggestions to which electric fuel pump I can purchased that works best ?

your suggestions are appreciated.

chetbrz

Quote from: unmuneco on February 22, 2016, 12:39:11 PM
Good Morning Gentlemen,

What kind of issues are you having?

If you plumb in an electric fuel pump most come in 12vdc.  If you are running 6vdc positive ground you can install an inverter that will change the 6vdc positive ground to 12 vdc negative ground.  The electric fuel pump can then be driven from your ignition switch. 

What you are looking for is the lowest pressure type you can find.  Since the old carbs are gravity feed from the vacuum pump.  Pressure over 2 psi may present a problem depending on how well your carburetor check valve works. I picked up one in Auto Zone that was designed for old car carburation.  Pressure was around 2 psi.  I also changed the check valve in my old carb from a solid steel pin to a rubber tipped pin that seals better.  Matched one up from some old carburetor parts laying around my garage.

PS the vacuum fuel pump is easy to restore.  Some use an electric pump just to prime the vacuum pump.  If we knew the problems you are having it would be easier to advise.

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

Just a follow up to my last post.  Although I have used the electric pump for a number of years it isn't exactly problem free.  The pump is wired to my ignition switch so that when I turn off the motor it turns off the pump.  After shut down the carb will drip a little gas until the pressure subsides.   I have a Tillotson Carburetor on my 29 and while the engine is running, no drips.  My intention is to get a vacuum pump up and running and use the electric as a primer pump if necessary.   Unfortunately I haven't had time to get to it.  I think with any of these old carbs if you run the electric pump without modifying the float valve they will leak gas.  How much is directly proportional to how affective the float valve is at stopping the gas flow under pressure.  Probably preaching to the choir, sorry.

PS, can't substantiate this but I think in line pressure reducers will also affect gas line volume when set to max low setting.

Chet...

Crazydave

unmuneco

Quote from: unmuneco on February 22, 2016, 12:39:11 PM

Good Morning Gentlemen,

What kind of issues are you having?

If you plumb in an electric fuel pump most come in 12vdc.  If you are running 6vdc positive ground you can install an inverter that will change the 6vdc positive ground to 12 vdc negative ground.  The electric fuel pump can then be driven from your ignition switch. 

What you are looking for is the lowest pressure type you can find.  Since the old carbs are gravity feed from the vacuum pump.  Pressure over 2 psi may present a problem depending on how well your carburetor check valve works. I picked up one in Auto Zone that was designed for old car carburation.  Pressure was around 2 psi.  I also changed the check valve in my old carb from a solid steel pin to a rubber tipped pin that seals better.  Matched one up from some old carburetor parts laying around my garage.

PS the vacuum fuel pump is easy to restore.  Some use an electric pump just to prime the vacuum pump.  If we knew the problems you are having it would be easier to advise.

Chet...

Thanks Chet..

I was able to get the 28 to start however the 6-9 lbs electric fuel pump is flooding the carter carburetor. I will add a pressure regulator to lower to 2-4 lbs.

Doug

Ski, I have that same carburetor. The PO had installed an electric impulse pump which is what most people go for because of price. I installed a Carter vain pump, works better easier to regulate. I found a Stewart vacuum fuel feed on Ebay and installed  that. Works great period correct. You can find parts for them. Still have my carter under the floor. if by chance the Stewart quits just move a couple of hoses and I am running again.