• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Need to know what tranny and differential fluids to use

Started by Wrench29, May 28, 2012, 01:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrench29

I drained the tranny fluid today. I have NEVER seen so thick of blobs of oil. The differential was a little better. What fluids are you using for your cars?

Rusty

My car has a broken speedo at 74,000 so my trans has a few miles .  What I use is 85W-90 cheap napa brand gear oil mixed with Lucus oil stabilizer in a 2/3 oil to 1/3 Lucus.  It is thick and helps oil cling to metal.  At the parts counter, have you seen the clear plastic box with three gears with Lucus oil, it shows the Lucus oil climb up the gears.  It does quick down noise gears in old loose trans.  I run this in everthing old, including rear ends. 

What I also do for very thick crap that comes out old trans, I mix cheap gear oil with automatic transmission oil (50/50) and run it for 10 minutes and then drain.  I have had to do this twice once on a 1941 WW2 army truck to get the transmission mostly cleaned out.

Rusty

29UJohn

you can clean them out with kerosene.  I use 85W-140 in my 29U tranny and differential.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Wrench29

Thank you also, John. The stuff in the tranny came out like very thick pudding. Really looking forward to cleaning it out.

SDGlenn

I used a 1 inch putty knife to scape out most of the "Crude" from the Trans and Diff cases, then used kerosene and a stiff parts brush to get it as clean as posible, it took a lot of rinsing also.You do get to check the gears out when it gets clean also, that was a big plus. Refilled with straight 90W, I am happy now. Everybody that has tryed this may have a different way of cleaning the parts but all end up with the same outlook. lol  looks good to me what ever way you do it.
SD Glenn
]
SDGlenn