• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Wiring Question

Started by SteveG, March 30, 2014, 02:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Steve,

When working with these old cars and especially the old wiring there are two basic issues that you will run across.  First, poor and deteriorating insulation of your old wiring leading to short circuits.   Second, corrosion at switch and contact points leading to high resistance at these points which results in very dim or what appears to be nonworking lights or accessories.

If you are not familiar with DC circuits and wiring it might save you a great deal of time if you google "Understanding DC circuits".  Knowing the practical relationship between resistance, voltage, & current will save you hours of project time.

An example.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/dc_circuits.htm#.U0Z5rHJOXDc

I hope this helps,

PS... As previously mentioned, check the Tech Section for the switch wiring diagram.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

How my '29 is wired:  The CLUM switch terminals are numbered 1 - 3 - 2 - 4 - 6 - 5 from the engine to fender in the picture.

1 - Green 39 Battery (-),  Red 25 Brake Lamp Switch

3 - Brown 42 Parking Lamps

2 - Black 40 Horn,  Black 24 Horn Button through shaft

4 - Red 43 Head Lamp Low Beam

6 - Black 44 Head Lamp High Beam

5 - Black 11 Tail Lamp

The Light Control Lever set up:

6 o'clock position is off

5 o'clock Parking

7 o'clock Low Beam

8 o'clock High

I hope this isn't confusing.  frank
frank p

SteveG

Thank you!

It doesn't look confusing at all.

I get back with the results.

SteveG

frankp

Additional info: as best as I can see, in the headlamp connection the Bakelite is numbered 1, 2, and 3.  I used 1 for brown, 2 for black, and 3 red.  The order doesn't matter as long as the wire colors are carried through to the correct lamp fixture within each Headlamp.
frank p

SteveG

I wired the lights up and they work.

Your directions were perfect.

It appears the Clum switch is a little different then your '29.  My '28 has only 5 terminals .There is no horn terminal and is wired directly up the steering column to the button. The '28 has a Maxwell engine and Chrysler probably changed it for '29. Just guessing.

I was unable to hook up the tail and brake light because the "push" on terminal on the master cylinder is missing.

The good news is that the car is running great and the head lights work.

Thank you and all the guys who took the time & patience to help me out. GREAT SITE!

SteveG 

frankp

SteveG,  The tail lamp should be illuminated with the head lamps and parking.  The brake light circuit is separate and is dependent on the brake light switch.

Appreciate your progress updates.   frank
frank p

SteveG

Perfect!

Thanks for all the great advise.

The wiring all works like it should.

SteveG

frankp

Good for you.  Just in time for the Easter parade!   frank
frank p