• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

I need some advise...

Started by kimmc, September 20, 2012, 01:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimmc

Thanks Glenn.  I've attached a couple of pics of before and after degreasing and pressure washing.  Next I plan to post some pics and maybe a sketch of the top detail.  If anyone out there is especially interested in that, let me know.  I can email you more pictures than I can post here; and I know the top is going to require more pictures.  I'm going for a drive in my '35 Plymouth Deluxe sedan this morning....can't work all the time.  Have a good weekend.  Kim

kimmc

Well, my wife, her friend, and I took the '35 to a BBQ party about 75 miles away.  The car did fine but most of the trip had to be on the freeway.  I would have preferred good, less busy back roads, but the many "thumbs up" from other passers-by made for fun travel.  It's still weird though to have no seat belt on!  And at every turn I reach for the turn-signal lever.  I told my wife I hope some gang-banger doesn't think I'm flipping them off when I'm signaling a turn with my arm out the window!  The car has developed a loud noise from the left rear brake (?) when braking hard; it doesn't do it if I gently apply the brakes.  Haven't seen any brake fluid anywhere but I will have to look into it.  So, that is another project I'm going to have to check out.  I am going to post another couple of pics of the cleaned up chassis of the '29.  Time to get outside and get going on my list of things to do today; it is supposed to start raining tonight and I've got lots of stuff out that I want to get under cover.  Later, Kim

kimmc

I forgot the attachments again...together they exceed the 1000KB limit so I will post the two separately. 

kimmc

Well, the forum program doesn't want to accept pictures right now (it couldn't be "operator error"), so I will try again later.  Check back this evening.  Kim

kimmc

post-pressure washing pics....

kimmc

another post-pressure washing pic...

kimmc

Well, maybe some one out there knows about original paint colors on '29 Plymouths.  I've been puzzling over all the information I can find on the internet, including Tod Fitch's Ply33 site.  What I've found doesn't match the colors on my car.  There is only one green, Ardsley green, listed for the '29 Plymouths.  my car has two different greens of original paint; the body is a medium green and the beauty stripe is a dark green (pictures attached).  The one picture is the original green body paint under the windshield wiper motor; the other is a picture of the 2 greens together on the beauty stripe behind the door.The fenders were black.  Moreover, the paint info I have found states that a gray was used as the trim color with Ardsley green.  That wasn't the case with my car.  I know there are a lot of unexplained peculiar things with these old cars.  But I thought maybe someone out there would have more info than I do right now.  I want to restore the car as close as possible to it's original colors when my great grandfather bought it new.  Thanks for any help you can give.  Kim     

chetbrz

It seems to me that you have the two best paint chips anyone can find.  Gray and Green just don't sound right to me.  Unfortunately my Salesmen's Reference manual for 1929 is missing pages 3 & 4 Special Colors and accessories.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

kimmc

Thanks Chet.  I don't have that manual so now I have something to hunt for.  Maybe a forum member has a 1929 Salesman's Reference Manual that they can check for paint colors....anyone? 

I have several color bulletins for the 32 Plymouth cars but nothing for 29.
Jason Anderson

kimmc

Thanks for looking Jason...I appreciate your effort.  I agree with Chet that I have the 2 color "chips" already on the car and I can probably have those matched.  I have been trying to find in the literature the names for those particular colors so I can use these when I shop for paint.  Painting the car is a long way off, but I have been trying to find info about '29 paint colors for the past two years.  I figured others on this forum would be good sources; Chet's info about the Salesman's Reference Manual is a new lead and something I will pursue.  Thanks again for the reply.  By the way, I took lots of measurements and pictures of the top wood structure inside and out and the wood around the back of the cab (which is probably similar in both coupes and sedans).  There is a lot of text and many pictures.  I emailed a large document to a couple of members that had asked for this stuff.  So, if there is anyone else out there interested in the top wood and interior wood of the cab, let me know.  I'll post a couple of pictures here for all to look at.  Kim

frankp

Kim, I have a listing of colors from old magazine, but it must be with the pic of a PA 2dr Thrift - lord knows where they are, however;

Checkout www.autocolorlibrary.com for possible combos with Ditz-Lac Intermix #s.  Their listings are in the same format I can't locate. They list several Green/Green.  Be sure to check the colors for 1929 Chrysler also.  My understanding, the dealers could special order for colors in the Chrysler family.
Good luck!!
frank
frank p

kimmc

Hey, I think I may have found the colors.  They are on the 1929 Chrysler, just as you suggested.  I had looked at Chrysler before but never had the color chips that this site provided.  Thanks so much Frank.  This is great info.  Regards, Kim

kimmc

Hello.  I spent most of the day cleaning up, organizing, and putting up a new shelf unit to store the many parts and fasteners.  I made sure everything was bagged, labeled, and stored in labeled bins (pic attached).  The Dollar Store has great containers for this kind of stuff.  I did remove the two rear motor mounts.  I thought they were just a steel bracket bolted to the frame.  Turns out there is a chunk of old rubber sandwiched in each (pic attached); the rubber is so hard it is just about like steel.  I'll have to have these re-built or buy new; don't know at this point.  More looking to do on the internet.  Kim

imoore

Hi Kim,
Nice to see the tear down coming along smoothly. With the rear mount the link below as them listed at $195 for the pair. I got my front mount from them. Very good people.
By the looks of the photo they have u are going to have to remove the riveted bracket from your old mount. 

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/HTMLobj-18312/PLYMWEbMounts-C-pdf.pdf

Hope this helps
Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine