• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

29 Vin number

Started by LudsToy, September 08, 2016, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LudsToy

Hello everyone, Have a problem, I cant read one number on my Vin plate. I can read "Y2_4CW" but I can't make out the center number. Has anyone had this problem before and if so what did you do? Tried different lighting, magnifiers, pencil and paper over the plate. No luck. The car was originally titled using the engine serial number in place of the vin number. I want to get it right. Thanks....

ski

Mine is also titled by the engine number however the same number is stamped into my frame rail behind the drivers side front wheel.  Other folks have posted that their cars are titled by engine number as well. Does your frame have this stamping?

ski

LudsToy

Thanks for responding. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see if its stamped. I thought maybe the original owner ( my father-in-law ) didn't know where to look or perhaps ran into the same problem reading it. Unfortunately he's not around to ask. Thanks. I'll let you know.

chetbrz

Quote from: ski on September 08, 2016, 03:55:47 PM
Mine is also titled by the engine number however the same number is stamped into my frame rail behind the drivers side front wheel.  Other folks have posted that their cars are titled by engine number as well. Does your frame have this stamping?

ski

I have the same problem. My dash serial emblem is difficult to read.  My car was registered on the body number plate located on the driver's side floor next to the seat.  My question is exactly where on the frame is this number stamped.  ski could you provide a picture of exactly where this number is.  My assumption is that it was not stamped there originally.  Especially if it is an engine number.., in that these can be swapped out over the years.

I am currently titling my car in Delaware and I am trying to figure out how to explain to the DMV that my Virginia 1928 U titled under the Body Number is actually a 1929 U Serial# RY882W which is extremely hard to distinguish from the dash emblem.

I am considering having a Serial Number plate made listing both the Manufacturing Number & Body Number, now I need to consider where to mount it and the frame seems to be the best bet.

LudsToy I feel your pain.  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

ehenin

Here is a photo of the engine number stamped on my 30 U frame rail. It is just in front of the brake hose on the drivers side, I chalked it for the DMV as it is very difficult to find otherwise. I have also found it stamped on the frame rail between the running board brackets on two 30 Ur's (stamped in both places on both cars). I hope this helps.

chetbrz

Very interesting.  I'll check these places but I don't understand why the engine number would be stamped into the frame unless this was a common practice for the local municipality.  Engines can be replaced over the years not always a good choice for a VIN.  I had a trailer that the state inspection people stamped the VIN number on to the frame because the trailer only had a decal.  Lots of things happen after almost 90 years.  I have an appointment with the state police to have my car inspected.  Since I lost the body tag it breaks the proof of ownership.  I am pretty sure they will stamp the VIN some ware on the frame.  Just a big hassle but I guess part of old car ownership.   I have had my car titled in Virginia for the past 10 years along with proof of purchase and title transfer from Florida.  Delaware is interested in getting the car recorded properly and in this we are on the same page.  So hopefully I will walk away with my car properly identified as a 1929 U under the FEDCO serial number.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

Quote from: LudsToy on September 08, 2016, 11:58:51 AM
Hello everyone, Have a problem, I cant read one number on my Vin plate. I can read "Y2_4CW" but I can't make out the center number. Has anyone had this problem before and if so what did you do? Tried different lighting, magnifiers, pencil and paper over the plate. No luck. The car was originally titled using the engine serial number in place of the vin number. I want to get it right. Thanks....

It looks like your car might have been manufactured around November of 1929.   November Y-232-HE is 523,238  (NOV - 523,238 to 531,810)
Your serial number is Y-2?4-CW  Question mark might be a number from 3 to 9

See link:  http://www.1948plymouth.info/1929/support_pages/FEDCO_Information.htm