• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Speedo Cable

Started by aussieQ, February 12, 2014, 05:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussieQ

Hi all,

I've had problems ever since I've owned the Q with oil occasionally dripping from the speedo cable into the cabin. After the wife complained of ruined shoes due to the oil, I solved it by just wrapping the cable with rags and replacing them every 6 months or so.
I have just had the cable remade as the keyed pin came away from the cabin end of the inner cable. On inspection the inner and outer cable were very worn in several places, so rather than just repairing the loose end I had a new cable made using NOS inner and outer cable and my old fittings on the ends.
I thought maybe when the new cable assembly was made there would be a seal that stops the oil tracking up the cable but there isn't.
My questions are:
1/. Should there be an oil seal of some description at the gear box end of the cable?
2/. Was the probable cause of the oil tracking up the old cable too much oil in the gearbox?
3/. Should the new cable be lubricated with a light or heavy oil prior to fitting?

Thanks
Gary S

frankp

Gary S,

1.  There could be gaskets on both ends of the cable.  I haven't had mine off in ages and don't remember.
2.  I doubt it.  The gearbox fluid should be at the bottom of the filler plug hole.
3.   My understanding is that the cable is lubricated by gearbox fluid so that is what I use.

The spiral nature of the cable would move the fluid as it rotates.  Gravity would drain excess when at rest.  Remove any slack in the cable in the interior so the fluid would not pool in a low point.

Good luck,

frank

frank p

Old Man

The oil is coming up from the transmission via capillary action. It seems to me that any I worked on had a flat felt washer in the tranny end which I replaced with an O ring. But,yes, it's not normal. The inside of the cable normally runs dry after a while, if anything. It has to be coated with some kind of grease and I use modern silicone grease. Seems to me the tranny end should be "tight" to put on and that means it's crushing the washer/O ring. The center moving part fits up tight against the face of the tranny and very little lubricant gets by. It sounds like the cavity/space around the center and the sheath is being litterally filled to capacity with oil which walks up the cable to leak out at the dash. 

frankp

Here are some ideas on cable lubrication from an AACA thread.  frank

http://forums.aaca.org/f120/speedometer-noise-367811.html
frank p

aussieQ

Thanks for all you suggestions. I haven't installed the new cable yet but hope to get back to it this weekend. will let all know what I end up doing.

Gary S