• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Air filter

Started by Doug, August 05, 2007, 04:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

I aquired a 30u in a trade afew months ago, It has been repainted and upolstered, other than that it seems to be close to original, The carb has been changed, There is my question, no where in any publications or pictures have I found an air filter on these old Automobils, That bugs me, I like it to look original but I want a filter on and haven't found one taht looks right, Any sugestions

chetbrz

The Plymouth Owners manual 1929 states:

Air Cleaner

The air drawn into the carburetor contains a certain amount of dust which is an abrasive, and if allowed to enter the cylinders will cause more rapid wear of the pistons, rings, cylinders, and it gradually works into the oil pan and is circulated through the engine.   The air cleaner ( Fig. 8 ) removes the dust from the air before it enters the carburetor by centrifugal force of the air currents within the air cleaner and throws it down into the open space beside the engine. The draft from the radiator cooling fan drives the dust past the engine.  The air cleaner requires no attention.

Vents in the front of the air cleaner get the incoming air rotating.  Theoretically it sounds OK but I wouldn't want to be in a sand storm in the desert.  Keep an eye on ebay.., they sometimes pop up.  A good Plymouth swap meet might also do the trick.

Hope this helps.   Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Doug

Thanks. I have seen that picture before but couldn't find any infor on it. My car has a Tillotson carb on it, I want the brass Carter but haven.t found one yet. It has a canister on the the intake of the carb but there is no filter in it or know way o put one in it, It just has holes in the back to let air in. I am going to the Auto fair this fall I'll keep an eye out for the right one.

30U sedan

You could use an air filter for a Model A Ford until you find the right one for your car. They are alot easier to find and are alot better then driving your car unprotected. I am using one until I find the correct carb and air filter on my 30U.

Dale

Doug

Thanks, I saw a picture of your filter and wondered what it was off of. I'm going to the Auto Fair in a few weeks and will look around there.