• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Ignition switch/coil ID on '29 and '30 Plymouths?

Started by 29plycoop, March 28, 2011, 04:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

??? There are two styles of coils that will fit the 1929 and 1930 Plymouths, one with two wire terminals , not including the distributor wire, and another with three with terminals.  The question is , which is correct for what model year Plymouth? The front ignition switch and bezel plate look to be the same. With making part changes through the model year were both versions used in any model year?  Just wondering Thanks in advance. - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

chetbrz

Rich,

Off the top of my head I am thinking that the 28 & 29 Plymouths used the 2 contacts and the New style 30 U and above used the 3 contacts which had an accessory position.  No real facts here, just my thinking.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

1929luv

On my coil the other terminal says gas gage.  Why that would come off the coil for the '30 modle I have no idea.  Craig

Gary 30U

Chet is correct. The early models used the 2 wire coil, and the 30 (with the gas gauge) started the use of the 3 wire. The coil is even marked on the middle post as Gas Gauge. Why the 3 wire you ask, because there was no other place in the system they had a circuit that was controled by the key. This was, as Chet memtioned, the new assessory circuit. Didn't take them to long to figure out a better way.

Gary

Gary 30U

There is an ignition switch and coil assembly on eBay right now. It is listed as a 1930, and it has a long compatability list showing a 31 and 32 PA.

The thing I noticed is it doesn't have the pointed top bezel like fits my 30U and it only has two connectors in the back for battery and distributor.

If anyone can shed some light on what this really fits it would be helpful.

Do the 31 and 32 only have two connectors?

What years had the square bezel without the pointed top? What about 28 and 29, did they have pointed top?

Always looking for more info.

Happy Motoring, Gary

29plycoop

My '29 Ply. Coupe switch has a rectangle bezel with with no point. - Rich

Gary 30U

Rich, I assume that the one listed is really for a 28 or 29, no point and only two connectors.

Gary

29plycoop

I have one Delco Remy coil/switch that has two terminals and is not drilled and taped for a bezel to be mounted to it. My '29 uses two small flat head screws to mount the backing plate on the coil for the bezel and then the face plate goes on and covers it. Not sure how the '28 face plates and bezels are attached. Does any one have the answer? - Rich   ???