• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

brake shoes on 29u

Started by 29roadster, April 05, 2011, 09:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29roadster

need help with brake shoes i had them all rebonded and there are two different sizes 4 with the brake pad the full length and four where the brake pad on one end is a couple of inches short. Does one of each go on each wheel or ???????
Any info would be great.   Should have taken a photo  Thanks Glenn

Rusty

more of the braking is on the front part of the drum, so that should be the longer of the two lengths.
rusty

Tinkeys

Hello Boys!!
I have just played with my Brake system !!
Smaller shoes are called leading shoe and they go to front side of brake drum , so each drum has one small and one longer or trailing shoe !
Adjusting them is another fun procedure !

Rusty

It has been a while on my shoes, guess I am wrong.  Sorry about that.  I will need to check mine to see what I did.  rusty

29roadster

hey thanks for that good info!!!! must getting old i just carn't remember anything how they went together, Adjusting is fun you say Tony got any handy hints?  anyway thanks guys  Glenn

Tinkeys

Try this link !! Came from chet ! I think ?http://www.chetscoins.com/1929/Work_Files/Brakes01062007.htm
If this dont make sense I will try to explain the way I did it !

Tinkeys

This last link is not working !!
Go to brake pedal travel in this forum and you will see the link that Chet posted , there are two of them !

29roadster

Thanks tony how did the rego on the car go

Tinkeys

Hi guys!
Would you believe our registration department refused registration only because they could not find previous history on car even though I still had old number plate to show them !
I cannot believe the hoops they want you to  jump through. I have now writen a letter to head office and see if they can sort this mess out.
I am not happy but I have to keep my cool and be patient I guess.

Tinkeys

Hi Glen !
Do you need explanation for brake shoe adjustment ?

29roadster

Hi tony I looked at the web sites and i wish i had that tool that Chets got looks like it would make it a bit easier.
But what i thought i would do is assemble them the best i can at the moment and revisit them when i get a rolling chassie and i can put in the brake lines, but hey i will be calling for help. Bugger about the rego how long will that take to sort out? and i hope i don't have the same problem.  good luck Glenn

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29roadster

Hi all ,  they are tricky things to adjust, but i think i got pretty close will be fitting all new brake lines soon and i gess there will be more adjustments when i get brake fluid in them.   Pitty they didnt invent disc brakes first whole lot easier hahaha
I might have something that resembles a car soon a rolling chassie yahoo

Tinkeys

Are you able to post a picture now ? Would like to see it !

29roadster

More problems front wheel bearings, been to all the bearing places same answer "none in stock will try the other stores"
I thought they would be off the shelf no problems, Has anyone replaced them lately and did you have any problems getting them,
rear wheel bearings no problems. Oh! Rims does anyone make them i could use a new set mine are rusted out.
Cheers Glenn