• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

turn signal problems

Started by SDGlenn, May 03, 2011, 11:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDGlenn

I sent this to the POC site also, thought I would try here too.

I need some help on turn signals that do not work. I am putting turn signals on the 1929 Plymouth Coupe.

What happens? When I hook everything up, as per the instructions, turn the signal switch to  the right or left side (makes no diference which side) the light will light up (dim) but not flash. Checking the voltage coming out of the flasher with NO light hooked to the system I have 6.4 volts. I hook up 1 (one) light then I still have 6.4 volts and the light is bright. If I hook up a second light the voltage drops to 3.0 volts and the lights go dim, if I hook up one more light (#3) the volts drop to 1.6 volts and the lights are still dim.  This happens even if I hook up only both tail lights, or any combination. I thought I had a ground problem, not so. I run ground wires to each light and it made no diference
The voltage comes thru the flasher from the fuse, and feeds the turn signal switch.

I got a NOS signal switch to start with. I used all new wiring and tail lights, turn signals, and front turn signals. I have tryed 3 (Three) new 6V Flashers. I have double checked all the grounds at all the lights, I have run a ground wire to the signal switch to be sure that its got a good ground. I have checked the battery and even tryed it with a battery charger hooked up to make sure I had enough  (6V) voltage. If I take the flasher out of the system, hook up a hot lead to where the flasher would normally furnish the 6V to the lights, everything works bright and OK and no voltage drop, as long as I run the switch by hand. I hope some one has an idea I haven't tryed.

Thanks,
SD Glenn

SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Hi Glen!
Is your car + ground or - ground ? Check that that that is correct first !
Put a test globe and see if it powers up from where you are getting supply from your fuse to power your flasher , if globe powers up fine  must be a bad connetion.

Tinkeys

Hi Glen Does your wiring diagram look similar to this !

chetbrz

Quote from: Tinkeys on May 04, 2011, 03:25:03 AM
Hi Glen Does your wiring diagram look similar to this !

The polarity of the flasher needs to be maintained for positive ground system.  So everything connected to positive in the diagram needs to go to ground and ground needs to connect to positive.

Reverse the polarity.   Try reversing the connections at X & L

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Tony and Chet, thank for the info. I still have the same problem.
I do have a positive ground system, positively, all the wiring is fastened with the positive ground. The wiring system looks just like the one you sent Tony, except for I have the positive ground. I tryed reversing the X and L terinals, it didn't help.
One more question, may be the problem. How does a person tell if the flasher is a thermal type, electro-mechanical, or electronic type? I am thinking maybe I need a thermal type (as listed in Tonys picture) TF-63?
I have 4 diferent 6V flashers now and non of them work, all work the same way. I have no idea if any of them are thermal type.....
I see on Tonys picture and using the web, Austrailia is the only place to get the TF-63 thermal type. I did not find it anyplace else on the web that was maybe or maybe not credable.
Any more ideas?
Thanks
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

Hi Glen !
did you try and load up the point of supply from where your fuse is with a high wattage globe eg. headlamp globe ?
could be 6.5v with little current  and a lot less when load is applied (similar to a dirty battery terminal lights will work until you hit the starter button)

chetbrz

Glenn,

Your lights need to be wired in parallel.  If you are adding lights and the voltage drops then you may be wiring them in series.  Also are the turn lights isolated from the other lights in the car including the brake lamp ckt. l What is that device between pin P on the Flasher and ground.  Is that a lamp or a resister ???

PS... My car is wired the same as your diagram.

See my diagram:

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Thanks  for the help guys. My turn signals and tail light work like they are supposded to now. A young fellow from NY on the POC site explained it to me, how it should all work, that done the trick.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

SDGlenn

This is what I had to do to get the Signals right.  The fix was as follows:  I needed the resistance in the ciruit, I went down to our friendly MACs Hardware (Surplus store) and bought 2 rear Trailer lights (they are about 7 inches long by 2 1/2 wide). I cut them up and took all the inner works out and installed that in the shadow boxes I built, Then cut the lens to fit in the shadow box opening (which is the distance between the 2 bumper parts on the 29, about 1 3/4 inches). I'm not quite done yet but will post a picture of what I started with and finished with, as soon as I am done. Looks good so far.
Thanks
Glenn

SDGlenn

SDGlenn

Hi, Here are a few pictures of the repair of the Turn Signal screw up I had. Pics of where I started and what it looks like now.
Glenn
SDGlenn

Gary 30U

Neat idea. Looks great and does not deture from the original car look.

What did you do for the fronts? Use parking lights?

Gary

SDGlenn

Hi Gary, I used small marker lights, Painted the outside edges black, like the back ground paint. They show very little, you don't even notice them unless the turn signals are on. Pics attached. Thanks,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn