• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Floor covering

Started by George29, February 13, 2008, 03:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George29

Haven't posted in a while. Been to cold here in Colorado to do much work on my car but finally have a couple of nice days and need some advice.
The wood floors in my 29 4 door are in great shape but just bare painted wood. What would be the correct material to put down if any. Thanks for any help.

By the even though I haven't posted lately I do enjoy reading all the post.
Thanks Chet for putting this togather and congrats on coming up on a year.

mopardave

My '28 has rubber in the front and color coordinated carpet in the rear.  It was that way when I bought the car in 1987 so I have no more info on it.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

chetbrz

George,

I recently picked up an Original 1929 Model Year Salesmen's Confidential Data Book.  The Book is dated effective as of December 22, 1928.  It has a lot of great information but little on the interior except this picture.

It looks like mopardave has an original floor.

I recently found a commercial floor runner company that sells 1/8" ribbed rubber runner 2', 3', and 4 foot wide.., up to any length (150').  I ordered a 3 X 6 foot piece to do my running boards.  If the stuff looks good I will use it as the trunk liner for my 48 restoration and also for the floor in the 29.   Reasonably priced.

Hope this helps,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Jim Yergin

Chet,
What is the name of the supplier? Does it come in brown? I need some for the floor of my woodie.
Thanks.
Jim Yergin

chetbrz

Jim it just came in today.  I was going to pick it up on my way to lunch.  If the stuff looks good I will let you know. 

Chet...

PS... Nice to see that you check in every now an again.  How is the woodie coming.., will I get a ride in it this year.???  :)
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

The Jury is in.

The ribbed rubber floor liner looks great and is pure rubber.  Should be perfect for the floor in the 29.  I might have to piece it in the center but I don't know yet until I measure the overall width.  This runner is thicker then the original 48 trunk liner (1/8") but will still look and work well.  I don't think it comes in any other color except black but here is the link.  You might want to search other suppliers Query ( Rubber Floor Runners )

http://door-mats.com/CorrugatedV-RibRubber.htm

Now to figure out what type of glue is best to glue rubber to wood.???

Chet...

Jim Yergin

Thanks Chet. Looks like it only comes in black but I will search as you suggested.
I am a regular visitor to this site and enjoy it. Nice work.
I have just about completed reassembling my replacement engine for my car. The next step is to remove the one that is in there now and to also go through the transmission. The plan is to have it on the road this year, hopefully before Sully. That plan includes giving you a ride.
How is the P15 coming?
Jim Yergin

George29

Thanks for all the info. from everyone.
Chet that looks like some good floor matting I'll have to contact them.
Now I need to locate a short in my headlights that is draining my battery.
Should not be to difficult and may be able to do that this weekend.

Again thanks for the info.

George

chetbrz

Quote from: Jim Yergin on February 15, 2008, 09:30:39 AM
How is the P15 coming?
Jim Yergin

Jim,

I haven't been doing much to the 48 over the winter.  I am in the body prep stage and that's a little hard to do with the cold weather.  I plan to use some vacation time to make headway in the early spring.  I hope to be out of the paint shop by summer or worst case.., fall.  Of course having two cars to work on has really divided my time.  It's hard to believe that I have been working on the 48 for 4 years now.  I am really looking forward to getting the car back from the paint shop so I can start rebuilding and detailing the interior.  Probably won't be on the road until summer of 2009.   You know how that goes...

Chet...

29UJohn

Chet, I do not think the floor rubber was glued down in front.  I used to have an original and it had a brown insulation pad glued to the back.  It did not fit snug around the gear/hand brake or pedals.  Separate rubber pieces with steel reinforcements covered those parts.  I wish I kept them but they were in such bad shape they were thrown out years ago.  The separate pieces can be purchased from Steel, but they are pricey.
John
1929U 4 Dr