• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Rear Spring Hangers

Started by Gary 30U, March 03, 2011, 01:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

A friend has a 28Q which has had the shoulders ground off where the rear spring shackles hang. They used straight pieces of 1/4" flat bar in place of the original shackles.

I can't tell if there is a pin that goes through the chassis end like in the spring. We have tried to punch it out, heated it, just can't seem to get any action or movement.

Is there a Pin??? and Does it come out???

Any suggestions on how to get it back to original so we can use original shackles would be appreciated.

Gary

29roadster

Hi Gary
Yep i have 6mm flat bar shackles and i have put brass bushes in the rear on the chassi as it had been slugged out by the origonal pins.
I'm in the middle of machining up new pins and bushes will post a pic when i'm finished.
Heading over to SA to pick up a 29 u it still has original suspension will post a pic of that as well.
Glenn

Gary 30U

Glen did you ever get your shackles redone? If so what all did you have to do to strighten out the problem with the rear frame connections?

Gary

29roadster

Hi Gary
I have posted a couple of pics 1 of my rear shackles where the original pins on the frame were loose and slugged out the cast section on the chassie so i machined up a bush and shackle pins for both the sping and chassie and now they are like modern style spring hangers the front i machined up new pins and got them back to standard. Hope this is what you were looking for the pins in the chassie just knock out,I put a little heat on them first.  cheers Glenn

Gary 30U

Glenn, Sorry to be so long to respond back.

Great info and pics.

I was worried about the pins in the chassis as he told me he had beat on them pretty hard and no movement. He thought they were maybe part of the chassis piece and no removable.

We will try some heat and maybe have to drill them out.

Machinist is making new pins with the grease fittings and ways.

Thanks again, Gary

29UJohn

I believe Tom Hannaford at Then & Now Auto Parts (Antique Auto Cellar) has new style NOS replacement spring hangers for 28-30 Plymouths. 
John
1929U 4 Dr