• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

clutch sleeve

Started by Rusty, October 28, 2009, 05:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

As many of you know, I have completely redid the brakes.  I wanted a good stopping car before I got to the driving part.  Since I was under the car , more than in it, I thought it was a good time to grease all fittings.  I drained everything and then took off the clutch inspection plate.  This was a sad moment as a large amount of metal was in the pan.  I looked up and it looks like the throwout bearing sleeve (??pot metal??) is missing a few large pieces.  Does anyone have their clutch apart currently and able to take a photo of the sleeve, with or without the throwout bearing.  I would apreciate it.  I had debated on pulling the engine this winter and now it looks like that decision has been taken care of.

rusty

1929luv

Rusty the tro out bearing is all steel I just put my origanal one back in because the replacment bearing was not as good but it is avaliable. I will haft to look to see were it came from.  You haft to press the bearing off of the piece that rides on the input shaft. And if that is bad you will need one. That part is not availble to my knowledge.  I had to make the bolt to keep it from spinning had machine shop do it that was the part that was bad in mine.  good luck craig

29plycoop

Rusty- Here are photos of my throwout brg. Hope they help. - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Rusty

It looks like the throw out bearing is pressed on a steel sleeve.  Am I correct that this assembly rides on the tranmission shaft which enters the clutch assembly.  It looks different that mine but I have not removed mine from the car yet.  Thanks for the photo
rusty

It looks like there are two wear points on the back.  Is this were the furcum arm rides??

I just went to take a look at mine again, it looks like the sleeve that the throw out bearing is pressed on is the same but does this assemble ride on the splines or on a "tube" that may be part of the tranmission nose ?  rusty

Did you pull the engine and bell houseing as one unit?  The bell housing is the rear cross member and that looks very tight to get out with out removing the steering box.

I just went to chet's web site and he has a picture of his tranmission out.  It appears that the nose cone of the transmission is what is broken.  One of the finger of the pressure plate that the throw out bearing rides on is worn flat.  I would guess that is the nose cone is broken, the throw out bearing does not ride square on these fingers.  I will need on of those welded up and then grind down to orginal shape.  The transmission nose cone is going to take, I bet, some work.

29UJohn

You can pull the transmission without removing the engine.  In fact, the transmission must be removed before the engine can come out, unless, as you mention, you removed the entire assembly by un-bolting the bell housing - but that is not otherwise necessary.

The throught bearing slides along the nose cone.  I have seem one where the nose cone busted when the throwout bearing stuck to it.  You may be able to weld the nose cone back on - depending where it broke, since hte throwout bearing slides on it.  But, it might be better to replace the transmission.

While you are at it, may as well remove the clutch and flywheel and have them inspected and repaired, as necessary.
John
1929U 4 Dr

29plycoop

The large hole in the bearing carrier is for the guide pin and the small hole is for attachment of the return spring. I left the bell housing in my car to remove the engine for overhaul.
Unbolt trans. drive disc's
Remove trans drive discs
Remove bell housing top and bottom access plates
Unbolt trans from bell housing and remove
Unhook clutch bearing return spring and remove bearing for inspection
At this point you might want to remove and inspect the clutch plate and pressure plate
A cleanup grind on the flywheel and a new clutch plate can do wonders for these old gems.
If you have all the old pieces of your broken trans. front bearing retainer and guide for the throwout bearing and can not find one your local machine shop can make you one. (not the auto parts machine shop a real job shop machine shop.)
Good luck with you project. - Rich

Rusty

Has any one removed the bell housing to paint?  How hard is it to remove once the engine/transmission is removed?

rusty

Rusty

I pulled the transmission with a lot work than I thought.  The case was coated in a thick oil/dirt coating.  I had to hammer off this to get down to where the trans meets the bell houseing and then use a hammer and screwdriver to pry them apart.  The front bearing retainer is broken.  It appears the throw out bearing seezied on this.  Where does the spring attach on the front of the transmission that goes to the throw out bearing?  Is the grease fitting to be up on down?  Does any one have a lead on a new bearing?  Since the everything was not alined, one of the clutch fork arms was worn severely, this will need to be reweld up and machined back to normal. 

rusty

29plycoop

The return spring attaches to a small rib with a hole in it just above the access plate on top of the transmission. Put a mirror and flashlight in the access facing to the back and you will see it. - Rich