• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

6 Volt Fuel Pump - will this work?

Started by 29UJohn, December 09, 2009, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

Saw this 6 volt fuel pump om ebay.  Can this be used on our 28-31 Plymouths (if the vac-fuel pump does not work)?

Item number: 280435118672

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280435118672&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AUS%3A1123

John
1929U 4 Dr

Rodney

Hi John,

I have a similar looking one on my 29U. It is mounted towards the rear end of the fuel line close to the tank. My vacuum tank works fine but I have the 6 volt electric pump for backup. You may need to put a pressure regulator inline.

Hope this helps

Rodney

chetbrz

John

I use a low output 12vdc electric fuel pump I purchased from Car Quest I believe it is 2 psi.  My car didn't have the Vacuum pump when I first purchased her and since I have acquired the pump but have yet to hook it up since the electric one works just fine.  The owner before me used two batteries I added an inverter that converts 6vdc negative ground to 12 vdc positive ground.  Intended to be used to put modern radios into old cars.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

It will work but you do need to connect it such that the ground is the pos wire, not neg.  I have a 51 ford with pos ground and just connected it such.  These will put out about 5 psi so you will need a regulator to drop it down to 2 psi .  I used a Mr gasket adjustable regulator with I have read is not accuate.  I disagee.  There are marks on the dial for 1,2,3 etc but I believe that these are not 1 psi, 2psi and such but just setting 1 or 2 or......  I used a pressure gauge to find which setting was for 2.5 psi for my ford and it was setting 3.5.  Works great.  Electric pumps work best by pushing fuel so they need to be mounted as close to the tank as possible.

rusty

29UJohn

John
1929U 4 Dr

1929luv

my 29 had one on it when I started the restoration project and it worked good just insulate the pump from frame and make sure your grounds are right.  Mine had two wires on it Good Luck Craig