• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

mounting rear wheels

Started by Rusty, October 24, 2009, 05:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I have the brakes all done but for some reason I can not get the wheel mounted on the tapered shaft for the rear wheels.  I can not seem to get the hub to line up perfect  with the key way.  Is there a trick or just luck?  Do you mount the wheel with no key way and then drive the key way home?  Is it easier to mount the key way in the hub and then install the wheel?  Or am I just making it harder than it needs to be??
rusty

p4jim

Hi Rusty.  Its been a while but I turned the axle so the keyway is on top.  Put in the key and slid on the wheel.  Keep the car in gear so you can wiggle the wheel.  Some I've done have had imperfections which I removed with very minimal filing.  Also clean the axle and the wheel and use no grease.  You may want to remove the wheel againn.  Jim

Rusty

chetbrz

Quote from: Rusty on October 25, 2009, 08:14:12 AM
Why no grease? 

Rusty the precision ground conical shape of the shaft and hub become locked when bolted together.  This is known as Taper Lock.  In order for this to occur there is no tolerance allowed in the connection.  Therefore grease would prevent the two metal surfaces from locking together.  After you clean the shaft and hub, you may wipe the shaft with a rag wet with light weight oil like WD40 or 3in1. I think the WD would serve your purposes better.   The cleaner and dryer the connection the stronger the Taper Lock.

Jim's comments about cleaning up the keyway is good advice but once you get the metal parts clean they should go together just fine.  Before applying any pressure to the connection install the key

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

Just to add a trick of the trade. If you leave the key extended out of the keyway approx. 3/8 inch (with the the trans. in gear and key on top of the shaft as suggested already) slide the wheel on all the way, but not tight, then with a brass punch tap the key in place and tighten the wheel in place. The extended key helps a lot to get the wheel and key aligned while still on the small part of the taper on the axle. Happy Motoring!!!! - Rich 
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

29 doUg

I had a devil of a time with mine.

Rusty

How much torque should use for the nut??  I used 60 pounds,  ??good guess????
rusty