• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

clutch photos

Started by Rusty, November 19, 2009, 09:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Does any one have a exploded views of a clutch assembly?  The tranmission front bearing retainer is broken and I found a guy that will remake (reweld) mine but he wants a detailed exploded view of clutch throw out bearing assembly.   He wants to make sure that the bearing assembly (throw out and sleeve ) rides on the front bearing retainer.  rusty

chetbrz

Quote from: Rusty on November 19, 2009, 09:36:26 PM
Does any one have a exploded views of a clutch assembly?  The tranmission front bearing retainer is broken and I found a guy that will remake (reweld) mine but he wants a detailed exploded view of clutch throw out bearing assembly.   He wants to make sure that the bearing assembly (throw out and sleeve ) rides on the front bearing retainer.  rusty

Rusty I will scan this tonight, enlarge and post as a pdf file.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

Rusty,

I emailed the pdf file

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

good news and bad news

The email worked great and that was exactly what the machine shop guy so thank you very much, but, it appears that the front bearing retainer (shaft that the throw out bearing assembly slide on) is from a different year/car.  My throw out assembly appears to be press fitted on that shaft and broke the shaft the first time the clutch pedal was used.  As the assembly could not slide, something had to give.  It appears that he can make a new front bearing assembly.

That was my first thinking.  I woke up with a much better explanation.  The gaske between the transmission and the front bearing retainer was installed backward.  This is a hole on the passenger side bottom that allows oil that passed thur the bearing to drain back into the case (trans) but the gaske was installed such that the drain hole was plugged.  The oil could not drain back but built up pressure and was forced between the spined shaft that drives the clutch and the front bearing retainer shaft.  This "leak" then got the clutch coated with oil.  This grapped and excessive force was then used with the clutch pedal and this broke the shaft.  The inside of the bell housing was coated in oil and the clutch was soaked. 

I did find out why my speed gauge is not working, no inner cable.

thanks for the  email again Chet,,, rusty

29plycoop

Attached are a few photos and some info. that may help. This is my '29 Plymouth transmission with and without the throwout bearing. The front bearing retainer on the trans. is 1.500  in. dia. and is 2.650 long. (the dia. that the throwout bearing carrier slides on) 
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Rusty

Thank you for the photos.  Have you ever removed that front bearing retainer from the transmisssion?  If so, there is gasket between the case and retainer but is there any seal that would prevent oil from going between the spine shaft and the retainer "tube"?  thanks rusty

29UJohn

There is no seal for the front of the xsmsn.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Rusty

the first photos is the broken front retainer seal and the second is a newly made replacement out of aluminum.  I had a seal installed in the inside of the new piece so trans fuild would not leak down the shaft to the clutch

rusty

Rusty

chetbrz

Nice Job,  Excellent Work !  :)  :)  ::)

Chet...

29plycoop

Did the original retainer have a seal in it and do you have the number of the new seal you installed? Thanks - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Rusty

The orginial did not have a seal.  There is a sprial groove that was cast into the inside of the shaft of the bearing retainer.  Any oil that did not drain back into the transmission case would be "stopped" by this groove.  That was the theory, I do not know how well it really worked.  In my case, rubber oil seal was installed.  There is no part number on it.  This seal would only work on this made piece anyway.  One the orginial one, they is no place to install a seal.
rusty