• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

'29 Clum Switch Connections and Horn

Started by racertb, August 12, 2012, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

Trying to get my horn to work and verify all connections, but first want to make sure I understand the Clum switch connections in relation to the horn.  From a post on the AACA board by Keiser31 a while back, here's what he had regarding the connections:

Viewed from the driver's seat in left hand drive car. The numbers on the tabs are from left to right 5, 6, 4, 2, 3, 1.

The 1st tab (#5) holds a wire to the tail lamp.
The 2nd tab (#6) holds a wire to each head lamp.
The 3rd tab (#4) holds a wire to each head lamp.
The 4th tab (#2) holds a wire to the horn.
The 5th tab (#3) holds a wire to each cowl lamp.
The 6th tab (#1) holds a wire to the horn, a wire to the ammeter and a wire to the signal lamp switch.

I specifically want to know about the horn wire connections (all) because I think the horn on my car is not hooked up correctly in the first place.  In addtion, I understand that the '29 and '30 use a Clum model 8821 vs. the 30-U 9150...does that change anything with the information above?

I believe the horn is the original Klaxon 12c, but there are no markings on it.  On the two terminals inside the horn, one wire is hot and goes to the ammeter and then battery (I believe) and the other goes to a switch under the dash (I am assuming the original horn button does not work, but I would like to find out when I know about all the connections).

The horn is mounted on a head bolt on the back on the cylinder head...not sure if it's grounded there or at the under dash switch.

Again, I just want to try to wire up the horn as it originally was and get my connections straight.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ted

Wrench29

contact Chet.  Somewhere in with all of this someone posted a clear but simple drawing of the switch.

imoore

1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

racertb

That's a good start, but in regard to the horn wiring, this is from another post of the AACA site from DodgeKCL that reads (in part):

The horn has only one wire and it comes down the column and out and over to the horn. There is no horn relay. The horn is 'hot wired' and the horn button simply grounds the column wire at the horn when the horn button is pressed and the horn operates.

This is basically how mine is currently rigged up.  One wire on one terminal goes directly to a "hot" source (ammeter/battery) and the other up to the aftermarket switch under the dash (I'm assuming the horn button on the steering wheel doesn't work, but I want to check for myself).

So, does the horn button wire go directly through the column and to the horn (as noted above) or does it/is it supposed to somehow go through the Clum switch???

imoore

The horn wire goes through the steering coloum shaft to the horn button. I cant upload a photo at the moment. But i can tomorrow.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on August 13, 2012, 02:29:43 PM
That's a good start, but in regard to the horn wiring, this is from another post of the AACA site from DodgeKCL that reads (in part):

The horn has only one wire and it comes down the column and out and over to the horn. There is no horn relay. The horn is 'hot wired' and the horn button simply grounds the column wire at the horn when the horn button is pressed and the horn operates.

This is basically how mine is currently rigged up.  One wire on one terminal goes directly to a "hot" source (ammeter/battery) and the other up to the aftermarket switch under the dash (I'm assuming the horn button on the steering wheel doesn't work, but I want to check for myself).

So, does the horn button wire go directly through the column and to the horn (as noted above) or does it/is it supposed to somehow go through the Clum switch???

There is a tie point on the rotary switch where the wire connects.  (Rich's diagram switch position 2)  This tie point is a blank position and is only used to connect the steering wheel horn switch wire to the wire leading to the car's horn.  Most likely engineered with the rotary switch replacement in mind.  ( Switch position 1 brings power from the horn to the steering wheel rotary switch and the break light switch) You might want to make sure your horn works.  If you ground the side of the horn circuit that is supposed to go to the  steering column horn switch (position 2) the horn should sound if it is working, if not troubleshoot the other side of the circuit.

Good luck,  Chet... 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Sounds like I might need to do some re-wiring for the horn...when I looked at mine yesterday, the horn wire that comes down through the steering column and out through the center of the clum switch goes straight into a braided harness along with some other wires.  There is no connection to the clum switch.

The braided harness goes over to the driver's side frame and up the side into the firewall.  Only one wire comes out of the harness about half way and that wire goes to the stoplight switch.  I'm going to do some more wire tracing, but this is what I found so far.

This braided harness is not the same one that is "hot" on one side of the horn; that is another harness that also goes through the firewall and (I assume) goes to the ammeter and then battery...

Any thoughts on the above? 

chetbrz

One thing is for sure.  If you have a positive ground system.  One side of the horn connects to the negative side of the ckt. ( the hot side ).  The switch provides the positive side of the circuit ( the ground ).

Good luck,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Well Guys,

I just figured out part of the problem with my horn wiring...There is no metal tab on the switch by the #2!  It is missing and probably fell or broke off...

Not sure how ultimately important that is for the horn anyway..is the tab just a junction point or does it serve any real purpose?   I'm still not sure where the horn wire ends up as it disappears into a wiring harness as it exits the switch/steering column.

I will have to look closer at those tabs on the switch to see if they are screwed on or somehow soldered on.  Does anyone know?  I'm wondering if I can make a tab and fix it...just a thought.

29UJohn

Chet is correct, and the drawing is correct.  That tab (#2) doesn't do anything but serve as a wire restraint. The horn is grounded by the horn button.
John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

John:

Thanks again for what you sent me...it ties it all together.  I hope to work on the car tomorrow.

Ted