• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Got my engine running

Started by ski, October 25, 2007, 03:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ski

Well after working on the car sporadically Finally started the engine the other day. I had to put a new distributor cap on and sort out a few wires.  I moved the electric fuel pump from the canted floor board to the rear of the car near the fuel pickup using existing holes. I removed the non-functioning vacuum fuel pump and made a plate to mount the regulator to the existing mount location so I didn't have to make any new holes.  It fired up and sounded like it was going to come apart for a few seconds but then settled in and ran smooth.  I ran it for about 15 minutes. It had 35-40 PSI oil pressure.  I need to make some carb adjustments or maybe get a kit for it. I took it apart and cleaned out all the crud and water that was in it but that was it.  It's a Tillotson JR1A.  Anyone have any info on it?  I also picked up a new fan belt since the one on there looked like it was going to fly off at any time.  Here's a few pics.

ski

chetbrz

Congratulations,

That's a great feeling firing up an engine for the first time or after a major problem.  Have you had the car for awhile or is this the first time running under its own power.  Either way congrads.... !!!!

When I fired up my 48 up after years of non use the feeling was great.  This is only countered by the feeling experienced by the first drive in your antique ride.

Life doesn't get much better then this.  Thanks for sharing.

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

PS,  ski,

I have a NOS fan belt laying around here someplace.  I put in an alternator so you can have the fan belt if you want it.  Email your address and I will send it to you.

email   chetbrz@aol.com

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

ski

I've had the car since August but have not had a lot of time to work on it so I'm doing a few hours here and there.  The car was last running about ten years ago and had somewhat of a restoration 35 years ago.  I put it in gear in both FWD and REV with the parking brake on and it wanted to go but I think I have a leaking master cylinder so I'll wait for brakes before I venture out on the street.  I also think I have to lower the fuel pressure.  I've heard 2 PSI is all it needs and I have about 5 after the regulator.  The carb is getting too much gas and it's blowing out the air horn.   I borrowed a buddies fuel injector test kit and it will allow me to adjust the regulator with the car running.  I also have to adjust one or two of the valves.  I ran it again today and I do have some ticking.  I plan on driving it to my retirement in the spring but I have a lot to do before then.

ski

chetbrz

I had the same problem with gas peeing out of the carburetor.  I removed the 4/5 psi fuel pump and put in a 2 psi Max fuel pump and the problem seems to be fixed.  The old carbs were designed to be gravity fed so they don't hold up well under a lot of pressure.

I will find the fan belt over the weekend and get it out to you.  Don't discard the Vacuum Fuel pump Canister you may want to go back to original someday.   I am working on hooking up this item as a dummy and still utilize the electric pump.  Of course no original parts will be harmed by my experiments.

Chet...

ski

Chet, I am planning on re-installing the vacume unit.  The only reason I removed was because the prior owner had already plumbed in the electric pump so I suspect there had been a problem with it. I'm also going to try and find an original carb at some point.  I was originally looking for an old plymouth or dodge to put an early hemi in but when I found this one it was too complete not to bring back to original.  It will be just as fun.

ski

ski

Chet,  Thanks for the fan belts. 

ski

Old Plymouths

I'm not a Ford person but I think the Model A has a Tillotson carb on it and I seem to remember it will fit the early 4 cylinder Plymouths, i.e. you may have a Model A carb and you may need to get some info on setting up a Model A.

ski

Yes, I believe a Carter came on the car originally.  I have one that I picked up but have not checked it for fit yet or even opened it up to see if it's a possible candidate to run.  The Tillotson that came with it may be a generic replacement.  The prior owner said he bought it specifically for the car and the choke and throttle all line up like it was made for it.  He didn't have the old carb.

ski