• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Side mount hardware

Started by Russ T. Fender, February 04, 2022, 10:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

I am looking for the cross bar used to lock side mount spares or pictures of it and possibly dimensions so I can fabricate them if needed.  Oddly, I have the locks which I found under the rumble seat cushion but not the cross bars.

Articifer Tom

Russ T. Fender

Great, just what I was looking for.  Thanks.

Articifer Tom

Your welcome . If you need any hard measurement ,advise .  The arm is pin to lock give a little swivel one direction .

Russ T. Fender

Tom could you give me the overall height, width and length for the arm.  I have a few blocks of aircraft grade aluminum that I might be able to use to mill arms.  They're just for show so they wouldn't need to be steel.  If the blocks I have are big enough I might ask you for more detailed measurements but without a detailed mechanical drawing or the original on hand it  will be pretty hard to duplicate.  Too bad we don't have access to a 3-D printer. 

Articifer Tom

Can do on measurements . But you just need round stock to arc to the shape . Do you have pics of locks you have that it is pinned to . I'll lay some scale / ruler by to show .

Russ T. Fender

Tom I think I got things confused.  The part I need to fabricate is not the locking rod.  It's the bracket.  I called it the arm for lack of a better name.

Articifer Tom

Yes I see . Maybe this will help . May still have some for sale . https://forums.aaca.org/topic/338077-1931-chrysler-cd8-parts/#comment-1978549  .  will work on measurements if that fails .

Russ T. Fender

It would be great if they are still available.  I will tru to make contact.  Thanks for the lead.

Articifer Tom

Here some other parts you may need . Note strap was likely made by upholstery shop , because of use of staples and then sewing . 

Russ T. Fender

Where do the straps go?  I have straps holding spares on my earlier cars but I thought the hold down brackets eliminated the need for straps.

Articifer Tom

Russ T. Fender

I see how the strap goes but I don't think it is necessary with the hardware for wire wheels. 

Articifer Tom

I see and agree . You need only the large wing nut then .

Russ T. Fender

Unfortunately I still need the hold down arms but I think I can fabricate them although it would be a lot easier to machine the blanks that you put me on to in the AACA forum.  Still trying to track them down.  Thanks again for all your help.