• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Polarize Generator 1929 Plymouth ?

Started by 29plycoop, July 25, 2011, 11:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

The '29 Plymouth has a single wire,  positive ground generator with a cutout to regulate the output. What would the proper procedure be to polarize the generator on this automobile? Thanks - Rich 
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

29plycoop

In doing some online research, came across this info on polarizing a three brush, positive ground generator.  It is part of a longer article that I will post but need to contact Chet first to the correct procedure.
If a generator has the armature turned or has been disconnected for a matter of months it needs to be polarized.
This procedure is from an expert senior citizen on these three brush generators.
------ PROCEDURE ------
With the generator re-installed in the car so that it could not be rotated. If not done, the generator will run as a DC motor. (with the cutout relay removed) With  a jumper wire, connect one end to the output wire(NEGATIVE) from the battery and should be momentarily connected to the output terminal of the generator (just a quick touch). Finally, all generator system parts should be reconnected as factory original. The amp gauge will read to the positive side when engine is started.[

At this point the third brush can be adjusted between 15-18 Amps  - Rich

chetbrz

Quote from: 29plycoop on July 26, 2011, 04:55:19 PM

I will post but need to contact Chet first to the correct procedure.

Rich,

If you think this should go into the Technical Data area, email me the info and I will put it in under your handle.
I worry about reposting a copyrighted document.  But our Tech section is not open to the public.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

Rich,

I am sorry that I haven't posted this info yet.  I don't want to post the article you sent because it would be incorrect to do this without permission.  At first chance I will rewrite the info and post it in the Tech section.  Sorry for the delay.  Daily life stuff is sucking up all my time.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

Chet -  When you get a chance to transfer the information is fine. No hurry.  I understand now days time is a premium.  My merry-go-round has been very busy also. With the temperature today below 90-95 got a chance to remove all four tires off the rims and pull the wood wheels to refinish them on my '29 Plymouth Coupe. That will keep me busy for a while.  Thanks - Rich