• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

X-military Plymouth

Started by SDGlenn, February 08, 2012, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDGlenn

For the personnel downunder, if you do not get on the POC Site.
Since this is not a military plymouth.........
I have gotten the brakes up to par, and they now work great. I have replaced the windshields and door windows, along with the weather stripping and all the seals for the windows (from Andy), they all fit perfectly.  I wanted to get the engine running before I decided how far I was going to go with this one. However, to get at the engine easily I took the fenders off to replace the Fender welting while I was at it. Of course the bolts all turned, or stripped the nuts, or whatever , all the bolts had to be ground off with a grinder, (almost all)  Then drained the oil, stuck my pinky in the drain hole... there was so much stuff in the oil pan, now I am in the process of taking the engine apart. Sure looks like a mess right now.  I sure hope to get this running by spring. lol
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

Bearings 46

Looks like it will be a great project!

Tinkeys

Hi Glen !
           When I purchased my 30u it had not run for more than 36 years  it too had gunk in the sump and on advice from my vintage car club they told me remove sump clean it then replace it then fire up engine !
I'm glad I did take there advice as there was so much gunk it would have chewed out bearings, engine did smoke for first 30 min. Or so then cleared up and now does not smoke at all leaks a little though,
My point is motor could still be good you never know !

SDGlenn

txs Tony,
Got the pan off, it is about 1 1/2 inches deep in muck, the sump screen is pretty much plugged up. I think I might just put in oil seals and clean up the crankcase, check the brgs, and put it back together, see how it runs.
Later,
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

wellery

Glen

I agree with Tony - Have done a few where we flushed the engines to remove all the gunk with a Diesel mix - may sure they turned over by hand and then fired them up sometime it is good when they havent been fired up for a long time as usually all the stuff has pooled in the sump.

Great looking rig love the front pointy grill,such style and grace they had in those days - is it X-military do not know much about the history of plymouths in the Military.

All the best

Wayne

SDGlenn

txs Wayne, no, it never was military. I was hoping for a while that it may have been when I found a military maintenance manual in the trunk. Turned out the manual was for a 1941 I think, not the 1939 model. So much for that. There are some good articles on the military plymouths in the POC Magazine, number 216 I believe.
Later,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn