• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Distributor Observation

Started by chetbrz, October 12, 2018, 02:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

The Plymouth master parts list for 1929 – 1933 reads as follows for the Distributor on the 28Q 29U

"Distributor Assembly – Order from United Motors Service, Inc. "  Page 101  (8-4)

It appears that the distributor was sold with the base already attached and was not supplied as a separate part.  I was able to research the following Distributors:

The one from my car is a Delco Remy Model – 635T  I also reviewed Delco Remy Model – 638C and Model  630B.  What I founded was that although all three had the same base the 638C and 630B had a different gear set then my Delco 635T

From a glance everything else looks identical.  I was wondering if a mismatch of these distributor bases could cause timing or sputter problems.  Maybe the gear sets basically do the same task even though the gear cut is 180 degrees opposite in design.  Maybe the 638C & 630B are for a Q engine ???

Anyone have anything to add.  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

The United Motors Service list i have shows most distributor components were available separately.

Also listed are Distributor, Complete - less Mounting Bracket for Q or U; 2 distinct part numbers.

Q distributor listed as 630-B, U as 635-T (and/or) 635-W.  These came with the Mounting Bracket???

I didn't see a 638C listed from Q through PF.
frank p

chetbrz

Hay thanks frank that explains a lot.

The 630B is the Q distributor and gear set.

The 635T is the U distributor and gear set.  (Makes sense, this is what is on my car)

The 638C seems to be for a 1927 Chrysler 50.  The distributor just came along with the other stuff and I didn't have a base for it.   The drive gear is the same as the 630B.  So maybe it is another version that might work with the Q.  I searched on the web and came up with Distributor 638C is for the 170.3-4cyl 3-5/8 Bore - 1927 Chrysler 50.  I assume the 27 was a Maxwell engine so maybe interchangeable with the Q ??
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member