• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

What’s happening?

Started by chetbrz, March 08, 2019, 09:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Very quiet board.  I know the weather has been a negative factor in getting things on the car to-do-list accomplished, but just checking in anyway.   At this point in my project I am doing cosmetic body work and the cold weather has ruled out any major accomplishments.   I fear that the warm weather will bring a tsunami of work to be dealt with all at one time.  Oh well I could benefit from losing a few pounds.   Waiting for spring.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Was thinking same thing . Just finished 8 wks Physical rehab and feeling good . Removed my master cylinder from the '31 Dodge truck and send out to be sleeved . Was creaping down on long hold and was last part not rebuild two years ago when truck went on road . Hope to get on a manual fuel shutoff system by tank next week .
   Did you get your engine back yet Chet ? 

chetbrz

Hi Tom,

Nice to hear from you.  Sounds like you have been working on yourself.  That's a good project keep it up.  We will probably wake up some morning and summer will be upon us.  It seems around here we go from winter to summer.    The motor is still in the shop just working through some final details.  I hope to get it back soon.  It had a problem with oil distribution and we had to redo all the connecting rod bearings.  Also some re-work to the mains but hopefully this should do it.  I'm glad we caught this before I reinstalled it otherwise the motor would have had additional problems down the road. 
You know Murphy's Law  "...whatever will go wrong.., will go wrong..."

Think about this.  Forty years after this 1929 was originally built.., NASA put a man on the moon.  Quite a technological difference in just 40 short years.  Do you think we might have learned something in Roswell, New Mexico ??

Anyway I have learned a great deal about the oil system in the 29U engine.  Hopefully it will run another 90 years.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

If not for going out for coffee almost daily, I'm just sitting around gathering dust.  The ice fishing houses had to be removed from the lakes in southern MN last weekend; thankfully this did not apply to me.  Only one side parking on the city streets now.  6 to 10" new snow expected by tomorrow, 3/10, pm.  The auto show started today and I'll probably go later this week.  Three Ford GTs will be on display.

Summer will be here sooner or later and that "extra" hour of daylight will be welcome.  Beer anyone?
frank p

chetbrz

Hi Frank,

I had a friend who retired to his childhood home of Fargo, ND.  I think after a couple of years he found himself back in North Western Virginia.  A stark contrast the Blue Ridge to Fargo.  Or in at least my limited understanding since I have never been to Fargo in midwinter.   I think the snow was welcomed at first but got old fast especially in one's later years. 

Here on the Eastern Shore of Delaware we have been shielded from the few snow storms that made their way to the northeast.  The ocean warms the coast so on average our snowfall is always lighter compared to just 30/40 miles inland.   My daughter is in Fairfax Virginia and when we get an inch or two she will get anywhere from a half a foot to a foot of snow.   Not much by your standards but enough to close the schools for days.  My older daughter is in Cocoa, Fl.  Her kids grab winter coats when the temperature drops to 50 degrees.  So I guess everything is relative.

During the winter I usually turn to indoor projects but since we retired the punch list is getting smaller and smaller.  I guess we are finally getting caught up after so many years.    So it's either create more projects or become addicted to the cable news reality show.  The later being the most undesirable.  So the clocks moved ahead last night which is always a good sign.

Chet...

racertb

Hey Fellas:

Been busy with other things down here in Florida, however, I did manage to get the car out this weekend for some exercise for about 15 miles.  It was in the 80's down here!

Ted

chetbrz

It's Nice to know that someone is using their car.  80s great weather for a drive not too hot.   :)

Crazydave

I've actually spent more time than usual working in the garage this winter. Just not related to progress on the Plymouth. I come to realize it needs a substantial amount of work to make it right. (a lot of that would be budget & time) I can get by a little a longer with trailer trips to little shows, where oil leaks are common and unnoticed  :)

Have been working on tractors and old gas engines. Clearing the progress Que and making the room for the eventual Plymouth tear down.

Also have finally got my compressed air setup complete. Was having issues with moisture in the lines, under heavy use. (blasting cabinet) I have a homemade (copper) water condenser and scored a previously enjoyed Ingersoll rand commercial air dryer / refrigerator. So I should be set. Also ran a rapid air kit for additional outlets and high flow to the end of the garage for outdoor sand blasting use. Maybe we should start a garage tools thread, curious to see what some of you guys have for tool setups.

As Frank mentioned earlier, its been a winter here. Broke a record for snowfall in February, which was during and after the polar vortex. Actual air temperatures of -30 F. Fun stuff. Snow blower really earned an oil change this year. So roof raking and dealing with ice damns is another great way to spend free time. And now its going to rain and rapidly warm up. Flooding anyone?........

abradney

Well my car as been at the upholstery shop since January 17th.  I'm fine with that as the weather in Utah has been miserable and it's free storage if it's there.  They are reupholstering the entire vehicle to my liking, not back to stock, they are doing seats from scratch, headliner, carpet all panels and I think i'm going to have them re-do the roof.

chetbrz

Looks Great,  I know you are into serious $$ so you should have it done to your liking.  I am sure that many here have first hand experience with the costs involved in bringing a car back to life after so many years.

Keep the pictures coming and get that old wood windshield lift mechanism off that new upholstery.  :o

frankp

Liking the upholstery, too.  Windshield wood may need some work before it gets covered?
frank p

abradney

The wooden mechanism actually works flawlessly, but does need a bit of tidying up, not sure why they put it on the new upholstery at all, I guess if they scratch it, they fix it.  They also did the carpet, and it wasn't to my liking so they are having to do that again.

chetbrz

Quote from: abradney on April 16, 2019, 09:45:32 AM
The wooden mechanism actually works flawlessly, but does need a bit of tidying up, not sure why they put it on the new upholstery at all, I guess if they scratch it, they fix it.  They also did the carpet, and it wasn't to my liking so they are having to do that again.

I agree.  If it ain't broke don't fix it !!  Great attitude.  I should follow your lead, unfortunately I am a frequent victim of Murphy's Law and find myself more sympathetic than apathetic with suppliers.