• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Clum Light Switch

Started by SteveG, January 06, 2015, 09:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG

I am going with my friend to look at a '29 4 door.

Did the '29 still use the Clum switch on the bottom of the steering column or a switch on the dash?

SteveG

29plycoop

My 29 Ply Coupe has switch on end of steering colume.
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

frankp

Hey Steve G,

We all like pictures, if you can.

frank
frank p

SteveG

Dropped my camera and broke it. (second one).

The Clum is the semi-circular switch located on the very bottom of the steering column, Controled by the lever on the horn rim.

I'll send a pic when I buy another camera.

SteveG 

frankp

SteveG,

As I'm a bit addled from time to time, the pictures I was requesting was of the '29 4dr you were going to see.  I completely forgot the topic of thread.

Too bad about your camera.
frank
frank p

Old Man

This is the colors of the wires at the different terminals as per original Plymouth doc. The 3rd terminal up on the right side is just a floating tie point for the horn. The green goes to the horn. The 1st terminal,2 greens 1 red, is hot from the 6 volt fuse. One of the greens goes to the other side of the horn. (Grounding terminal 3 with the horn button sounds the horn. It's done with the black wire that goes up the steering column and onto terminal 3.) The 2nd terminal goes to the parking lamp bulbs on both headlights(yellows). The 4th terminal goes to the headlight bulbs,left and right, not sure if high or low beam(reds). The 5th terminal goes to the other headlight bulb filaments,right and left(blacks). Again not sure if high or low beam. It should be obvious with the position of the toggle. The 6th terminal goes to the rear bucket parking lamp filament(black). The rear brake light filament(red) goes through the stop switch(red) and then over to terminal 1. It gets it's 6 volts from there from the green wire which is hot from the fuse. All filaments in the lamps get their grounds at their respective shells/housing. I believe terminal 1 is the main 6 volt supply for the internal switch lighting functions. (In other words remove it and all lights,headlights,brake, parking,and the horn would fail to operate. This one green wire is the master wire to the car's 6 volts. Yes this one thin green wire runs all the headlights and rear parking lamp and when necessary the brake light and the horn. All at the same time!)   

29plycoop

In case you may have missed it, there is a drawing of the wiring of the light switch under the "TECHNICAL INFORMATION" heading on the home page. After re-wiring my 29 Ply and tracking the info down, made the sketch and posted it. The information was not available anywhere that I could find. Good luck with it. I will get a photo and post the switch on my car. - Rich

chetbrz

Rich & Oldman,

Can you both review the diagrams and explanations.  I believe terminals 2 & 3 might be mislabeled on Rich's diagram.  I believe terminal #3 gets it's grounding from the wire running from the horn. (As stated in Oldman's description, #3 is a tie point)

I would like to combine these two explanations and drawings into a single document.  I believe they are both showing the correct information.

Oldman,  See Rich's document...   http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=433.0;attach=915

Please review, Tks Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

frank p

chetbrz

Quote from: frankp on February 06, 2015, 10:53:40 AM
Hi Chet,
Here's my info for the wiring.
http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php?topic=862.msg5321#msg5321
frank

Frank,

I think you are both saying the same think just the numbering is different:

Numbered from the engine to fender:

Yours     = 1 - 3 - 2 - 4 - 6 - 5
OldMans = 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6

Other than that you are both saying the same thing.  I don't recall if my switch had numbers written on it but the third post that you are referring to as '2' and Oldman is referring to as '3' are the same.  On my switch this post is broken off and the horn wire is tied to chassis ground.  I believe we have the same conflict with points 5 & 6.  Not a big deal, minor inconsistency as to just how they are being logically referenced.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Chet,    The numbers I gave are stamped on the side of the switch and, obviously, are not in numerical order.   There are probably several ways to connect the wires to give satisfactory results.  Though the brake lamp switch must be continuously powered.   frank
frank p

Old Man

Chet: Wow it a good thing we have an editor. I had mislabelled the 2nd terminal as 2 greens when it should be 2 yellows. I use my own numbers starting at the left side of the car. That's the right side of the drawing. I assumed that Plymouth would assume you would be looking at it from inside the engine compartment not from inside the car. And I just numbered it up from there. So my number 1 terminal would be next to the left fender on a lefthand drive car and next to the engine on a righthand drive car.   

29plycoop

Chet is correct the switch is factory stamped with numbers on the outer perimeter and the numbers are not in order. 1-3-2-4-6-5 from engine side toward fender is as factory stamped and the sketch was made with these in mind.  Thanks for added wiring color codes to the switch. What manual did the wiring color codes come from? - Rich

29plycoop

1929 Plymouth Light Switch Photo.

frankp

The braid color I reference are in the Sixth Edition August 1929 Instruction Book.
BTW, I believe my CLUM is #1108 and I'm certain there are more numbers/configurations made.   frank
frank p