• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

30U suspension

Started by abradney, November 06, 2018, 07:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abradney

Hi guys, i'm trying to figure whats missing from my front suspension setup, obviously the shock absorbers, but i'm struggling to find reference pictures or parts, can anyone enlighten me?

I'll need front and rear pics, and maybe a source for the missing parts, thanks in advance.

Edit: Car is a 1930 Plymouth 4dr Sedan

hursst

According to the Plymouth Master Parts List 1928-1934, the shock part numbers are as follows for the 30U: Right front: 1590A-3C, Left Front: 1590B-3C, Right Rear: 1590C-3D, Left Rear: 1590D-3D.  They would be Delco-Lovejoy shocks.  Please also note that this is for the 30U, not the plain old U (both made in 1930).  You may want to check your serial number to make sure your car is a 30U and figure out roughly when it was built, as there were many running changes to the 30U.

-Chris

frankp

Nice oval window.  Can't address suspension, but would suggest a shorter flex brake line to front wheel.  I believe the Q, U and 30U are the same.  Brake and Equipment warehouse, Minneapolis, made them for my 29U.

https://brakeandequipment.com/

frank
frank p

abradney

Quote from: frankp on November 08, 2018, 01:23:02 PM
Nice oval window.  Can't address suspension, but would suggest a shorter flex brake line to front wheel.  I believe the Q, U and 30U are the same.  Brake and Equipment warehouse, Minneapolis, made them for my 29U.

https://brakeandequipment.com/

frank

Yeah, i'm not sure why they went with such a ridiculously long brake line (prior to me getting it).  It is braided steel though, so that's cool!!

ehenin

ehenin

abradney

Thanks for those, but mine does not have the mounting hardware on the axle mounts for the shocks to mount to, furthermore mine has spring dampeners mounted on the actual springs.

Russ T. Fender

I have an early 30-U that has the dampening springs.  It had no shocks but I eventually added shocks and retained the dampening springs.  The early 30-U seems to retain some U features like the dampening springs, vacuum tank and thermosyphon cooling.   In addition to the shocks, the shock linkage and the axle mounting plates there are also re enforcing plates that go on the opposite side of the frame where the mounting bolts for the shocks are located.  I may have some extra parts in my storage unit if you need them.

abradney

Hey Russ, that is awesome information, I'm going to directly message you regarding parts.  Thank again!!