• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

generator parts

Started by Rusty, July 04, 2010, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I planned on taking out the U for a 4th july parade.  I decided to test run her on the 3rd, at night.  It was running great but started to steam.  I waited for a bit and added water and off on my marry way.  It started to steam again and then I smelled a burn smell and she died. Now it was 10 at night and dark and here I am on a dirt road with the nearest farm miles away.  Good thing I had my universe  repair tool, cell phone.  I called the wife who came out with the truck and a tow rope.  The entire front end was coated with water and anitfreeze being pulled down a country dirt road.  It looks like I found it in a barn after 50 years by the amount of dirt.

I started the autopse and found the cause.  The fan was not spinning.  The generator was seized.  After removal of the generator and inspection.  The front bearing destroyed itself.  I had oiled it upon rebuilding of the engine.  I am now in need of one.  Does anyone have lead or know which other Mopar years would interchange?  The fan belt is all frayed.  I never heard a thing untill the end.
rusty
I see on ebay there is one for a 31, should work but that one has what looks like fins under the pully like a "normal" generator, mine does not?  I have other cars and they have cooling fins that spinns took cool stuff.  Normal??

Rusty

notice the number of balls missing.  I looked at the manual and it shows no cooling fins.  I had oiled the bearing, I wonder why it went bad?  I will pack the next one with grease.
rusty

chetbrz

Interesting Rusty,

I didn't realize that the fan played such an important role in the overall wellbeing of the cooling system.  It must have been a hot night.   Of course having a seized generator dragging down the engine must have created a great deal of smoke. 

I fabricated a 6vdc alternator into my car for the time being just to cruise the neighborhood without battery problems.  Not original, but no Plymouth parts were altered during the installation.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

The front generator bearing (drive end or pully end) is the same at the Ford Model T, Ford part number 5121 (or T5121)

The rear generator bearing (commutator end) is the same as the Ford Model A.

These are available from many Ford Model T and A parts dealors.

You can get "original" or modern sealed bearings.

I replaced my generator's bearings a few years back with new sealed bearings that never need oiling and have had no problems (Normally I am a purist - so please forgive!).

John
1929U 4 Dr