• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

The Old Gal Left Me Stranded Today

Started by racertb, April 06, 2014, 09:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

I was heading home from a show this afternoon and she quit on me...felt a slight loss of power then some misfiring and then a few loud bangs/backfire, but not from all from the exhaust...seemed like up front (downtube?)  Pulled over, nothing visibly wrong under the hood, no leaks on the ground.  Pulled off the distributor cap, checked the points, etc.  Tried to restart several times, finally started and ran for a few seconds the shut off again.  Some more backfire.

My thought is the timing, but not sure at this point...not sure how that would just "go out" like that.  May be the carb, but don't know.  Got home late via flatbed and to tired to figure it out today.  I've got the battery charging since I drained it trying to start the car too many times.

Just one of those frustrating sitiuations.  Car has new plugs, points, condenser, cap. rotor, wires, etc. 

frankp

Glad you got home safely.  With my car, I'd start with the carb.  Getting enough fuel at the correct rate?  Choke stuck?  Major vacuum leak?  Just some unsolicited thoughts.

Good luck,   frank
frank p

imoore

Check your ignition timing. Sounds like its to retarded.
I had the same expirence when i first got mine on the road. If i cruised along at a slow speed all was fine but when i got up to a faster speed she would start to loose power and backfire out carb.
I advanced the ignition timing problem solved.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Old Man

I agree with imoore. These engines have a fibre gear upfront on the end of the camshaft that was known to strip it's teeth. After 85 years this may be what happened. It does sound like your farting is being caused more by timing than by a lean mixture etc. Catastrophic failure of this gear would occur in this manner. I can't see the carb doing this. Usually you would have had trouble starting and running before this if it was the carb. But just snorting out the carb and tailpipe while driving down the road sounds to me like loosing connection between camshaft and distributor.     

racertb

Wow...I'll see what I can find out.  At one point yesterday while trying to start the car, it did start and ran smoothly for a few seconds and then died again almost like it was not getting any fuel.  Then every other attempt failed, so not sure if it became flooded (smelled like it) and then the battery was too weak.

Maybe the distributor is "floating" at higher speeds?  I usually drive between 38-40 mph and yesterday I was pushing 45mph...just guessing at this point.

I do have an '30 block in the garage that my father bought years ago, but I'm hoping I don't need to get into that for any parts.

I've charged up the battery and I'm going to try again this evening hopefully to see if I get any sign of life out of her.